Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions for smoother ride for a 1200 c? What kinda shocks should i use to replace my factory ones??

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
HmmmHmmm we live inside the same parish Hot Rod. Progressive also has a front fork spring kit thats supposed to be an improvement.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I can vouch for the Progressive front springs. A vast improvement on my Vrod. Stock height replacements. Highly recommended.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
I can vouch for the Progressive front springs. A vast improvement on my Vrod. Stock height replacements. Highly recommended.
Good to hear, I may actually cough up for them one day. Progressive has a good layout in J&P cycles catolog if your frustrated by the internet sites.
75 bucks is reasonable but I chuck all my spare cash at the Pig (07CU)right now. With gas prices I may have to stick on the XL if I want to do any more IBA rides.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for smoother ride for a 1200 c? What kinda shocks should i use to replace my factory ones??
What position are the factory adjustable shocks in? When I took delivery of my 1200L mine were at the lowest setting leaving very little room for shock travel. I could feel every bump in the road. After buying a shock adjustment tool and adjusting them up 2 notches to the middle setting it made a world of difference in how smooth it rides now.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
What position are the factory adjustable shocks in? When I took delivery of my 1200L mine were at the lowest setting leaving very little room for shock travel. I could feel every bump in the road. After buying a shock adjustment tool and adjusting them up 2 notches to the middle setting it made a world of difference in how smooth it rides now.
Thanks for the tip on shock adj. I did the same to my low and it did help. Still vibrate at 65-70 mph like crazy but that appears to be the nature of the beast.

·
Ms. Subtle
1,930 Posts
i changed my front springs and went to heavy fork oil AND i have smoothride shocks.. those shocks were the best money i have spent on my bike besides my AIM plate

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Ok I'mlooking at A set of 412's on the web they tell me my 1200L has 11.5 shocks and I should use 11" replacement I messured and come up with 12" or better. just how do you mesure a shock?

·
Registered
40,764 Posts
Center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Someone once wrote that the Sportster had the best $10 shocks you could buy.

Do yourself a favor and go aftermarket. It is an improvement on just about any motorcycle, no matter what brand.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
On the Dynas, and I'm sure the Sportsters are the same way, that adjustment is not the shock, it is spring stiffness. Each click up makes the suspension more hard. It doesn't change the shock travel any, it just pre-loads the spring. If raising that adjustment up some made the ride less bumpy, you must have been bottoming out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts