Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not afraid of snakes and as long as I know that they are there; even poisonous ones don't bother me. But I don't believe I will evet get used to passing by with them right under my foot.
I have passed over several this year and it is a wierd feeling every time. Anyone else get unnerved when they look down at a snake under their boot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
ya I stepped out of my tractor trailer rig and about to step on the ground when I looked down to see where I was stepping , there it was a 3.5 foot rattle snake boy my heart sure skipped a beat that day. got back in the truck out the passenger side found a stick and played with it a while. big sucker it was now every time I get out I look around first

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
ya I stepped out of my tractor trailer rig and about to step on the ground when I looked down to see where I was stepping , there it was a 3.5 foot rattle snake boy my heart sure skipped a beat that day. got back in the truck out the passenger side found a stick and played with it a while. big sucker it was now every time I get out I look around first
I feel the same way. Especially after I saw, "Snakes On Baggers". You need to pickup a snake charmer. :2guns

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,511 Posts
Ha Ha. I ran over one last summer. Came around a curve, and there was no missing him. He was a big, long black King Cobra! (Snakes fall into two categories: If they have rattles, they're rattlesnakes, if they don't , they're king cobras!) Anyway, we had had an awful lot of rain, so we were seeing snakes up by the road a lot. I kept having this damn fear of running over one and the tire slinging him up on my back...I hate snakes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This time of year we have a lot on the roads. I'm always looking for a nice set of rattles so when I see a snake I'll turn around and check them out.

I'm like southernman, I always have a vision of them flipping up and sinking thier fangs into my leg. Makes me want to get those knee high boots the motor cops wear.

When I'm around snakes I want to be in control. Riding by one in the road I just don't feel like I'm in control for some reason.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Slither snakes don't bother me much on the road, but TAR snakes unnerve me on curves. The hotter it is the slipperier they are.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have an albino corn snake for a pet. He's awesome! Nice quiet pet. Not a big fan of rattlers though. We have timber rattlers up here in north Jersey. Gotta watch where you step while fishing or hiking. Have never seen one in the road...yet.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,658 Posts
I was leaving a bike show couple of summers ago and had a small group of about 7 or 8 bikes in front of me, they were about 15 feet away from one another and I noticed a snake on shoulder of the road that was darting at each one as they rode by at about 20 mph.

The snakes head never got to the main road surface and was never closer then 4 or 5 feet from anyone.

But it put the thought in my head that it possible could happen, lot of back roads I ride have no shoulder and snake could be in grass.....waiting.:whoa

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
But it put the thought in my head that it possible could happen, lot of back roads I ride have no shoulder and snake could be in grass.....waiting.:whoa
I was leaving a dealership thats was having some kind of event, I took outer road to get on highway behind a group and while they were getting ready to go over a bridge a pussom ran in front of this guy and he went off road and layed his bike down.

I pulled over along with everyone else and he and his bike were O.K.

He managed to get slowed down enough in the tall grass and the ground was soft and was pretty much stopped be fore he lost his footing!

He said the possum was like hitting a speed bump at 60 mph!!!:what?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Speaking of which, we were riding in a groupd today about 6 bikes. First was a triglide and he ran over a 7 foot long black snake stretched out from line to line. And I was next and he was all shrunk up into a ball and as soon as i drove by, he lunged for the bike and guy behond me said het hit head first into the saddlebag.... theres now a clean apot on my right back... guess his nose is dirty...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,017 Posts
Worst snake story I have is from early last fall before it started getting cold. Looked down at some movement in my living room and saw a small copperhead just staring at me. Grabbed the little sucker and found my old Boy Scout Field book from a million years ago, and sure enough, copperhead. Took him across the field and threw him into the woods...plenty of meeces for him there.
As Southernman said, we had a bunch of snakes around here back then and it's nothing to see one crossing the road. Only ones that bother me are the water moccasins....they're just plain mean and need killing on sight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've never hit one personally (yet) but I'm told one of the worse things to hit is a turtle. The way it was explained to me is the front tire doesn't have enough weight to crush the shell so it's like hitting a big glass marble.

The funniest story I listened to was told by a guy who was riding two up with his wife through Texas and he came close to hitting an Armadillo, he said the damned thing jumped straight up and seared its self to his exhaust. His wife had her legs around his neck screaming ARMADILLO, while the damned thing was doing it's damned best to claw through his chaps. He's fighting his wife, the armadillo and trying to get the bike stopped which evidently was a near thing before he finally got it kicked off.

Too bad he didn't have a video ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never hit one personally (yet) but I'm told one of the worse things to hit is a turtle. The way it was explained to me is the front tire doesn't have enough weight to crush the shell so it's like hitting a big glass marble.

Too bad he didn't have a video ...
I saw 3 more snakes on the road on the way in tonight. Non poisonus but still gives me the heabie jibbies riding by them.

I haven't hit a turtle (yet) but monday while on a 4 lane a car hit one that was about 12" in diameter. The car slung it up in the air about head high and towards me. What bothered me more than the turtle coming at me was all the juices coming at me. I did manage to avoid being hit by the shell and the turtle juice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts