Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove the cylinder head with the engine in the frame on a 2011 Dyna Super Glide? An exhaust stud has snapped off in the head and drilling isn't an option so the head has to be removed.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Is it possible to remove the cylinder head with the engine in the frame on a 2011 Dyna Super Glide? An exhaust stud has snapped off in the head and drilling isn't an option so the head has to be removed.
in a word : Yes . :)

·
2015 Road Glide S
38 Posts
is there any meet left on the stud that is exposed? If there is try to make a slot on the face of the stud for a flat head screwdriver to get access to.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
The method used to remove a broken exhaust stud is to weld a nut onto the end of the stud. Hold the nut against the stud end with a pliers and build the weld up inside the nut. Also the heat from the weld will help to loosen the stud.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Remember ; Nickle NeverSeize ( high Temp) and a torque wrench are both your friends . :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
WHAT, no safety glasses !!! :eek

·
Registered
419 Posts
As for that stud repair video, I would have soaked penetrating oil on the stud and screwed it out
like mentioned above.

If I did decide to drill out the old stud, I would have used oil to lube that drill bit, and the tap.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Try heating, very carefully with a small torch. Around area of broken stud, cool with water, repeat 2, 3 times. By expanding area around stud, help loosen and break up some of corrosion if any holding it. Secret is to NOT heat stud. Aluminum sucks up heat quickly and expanding. I have gotten studs out before heat gets in stud, turn them out if there is something to grab. Works on steel and iron also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Only one thread is showing plus the stud has hardened so drill bits aren't cutting and in danger of tracking off into the head. Removing the head and spark eroding the stud has been recommended as the best option hence my post about removing the head in the frame. Cheers

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Ain't gotta take the head off if ya do the weld procedure ! Just weld a nut to the end of the stud and screw it out. No dis-assembly required !
I got this from a S&S tech years ago when I had a 96ci S&S with a broken exhaust stud. I wanted to send them the head to fix for me. That is what they told me to do. Weld a nut to the stud and screw the sucker out. It's what I've been doing ever since !
That's what S&S does when they test exhaust systems and break the studs.

·
old scoot coot
4,885 Posts
schmidty is right. i used to have an auto parts store and machine shop. i used this method hundreds of times on cast iron, aluminum and steel. the nut will get red hot when welding i used a miller wire feed mig. gently tap nut right away as it cools, when it has returned to normal color after welding remove nut and stud. i have remooved many that were snaped off flush. sometimes those will fail first attempt. no harm no foul. it it is easy for one to do unassisted on the bench. but in your case, someone will need to hold nut in place while you weld. if schmidty offers a solution, listen. this cat has been to a lot of rodeos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts