Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a '91 Tour Glide the other day. Got it home changed all the fluids, found a bearing chip on the Primary magnet. So I need to take down the primary, I'm in this deep I might as well change out the 60K mile secondary belt while I'm at it. So I have the primary off, dropped the swingarm, back tire off and waiting for parts. I have officially spent more time working on it than I have riding it. Anybody else do this?

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Could've rode it till it broke.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Sounds like some of the boats I have owned....always something needing attention or major work. So far the Harley has been rock solid.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It will all be worth it once it is done. I have a 1986 Tour Glide Classic that needed TLC when I first got it some years back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Tinkering is half the fun to those with mechanical aptitude...what else is there to do on a rainy day besides a beer and wrench filling your hands!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
dont even think aboot a project bike then

what horror, waiting 2 years to ride a bike while you go thru it front to back

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Two yrs ago I decided to sell my 2 Hot Rods and get back into Harley's. After a 8 yr spell of doing the Hot Rod thing. I then went looking for a Used Bagger. I looked and looked for over a week and a half. My wife came in and said look at this add I found. 2006 Full dresser all Black 4K For Sale $ 12,500. WHAT ! I called No one answered. WE took off to dinner with friends came back and called again. Still NO answer. As I started to walk away the phone ran and Its the sellers Son. Sorry I missed you but I work 12 hrs a day. It's My Dad's Bike and he can't ride it any longer. He has developed balancing problems . So he wants to sell it. Next day we went to look at it with ca$h in hand. HOLY crapper. It looked like it came right out of the shops brand New! Took it for a quick spin and checked everything out. Never even argued about the price I gave him what he was asking. And drove the hour home. NEVER did a lick of repairs to it. They just had their dealer go over the bike before it was sold. TALK about LUCK. Dame nice ridin Bike. But things have changed since we moved from Minn to AZ. I now have a 14. GOOD luck also with yours :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Tinkering is half the fun to those with mechanical aptitude...what else is there to do on a rainy day besides a beer and wrench filling your hands!

Um, I might be able to think of something ....

--

·
alienwulf
11 Posts
You got to fix all the stuff the owner did wrong or covered up.:spank:

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
When you buy anything used then......................... :dunno
You got to fix all the stuff the owner did wrong or covered up.:spank:
:nod
Have seen many a used and abused Harley. Never understood spending the money and then not keeping up with at least minimal standard maintenance. :loco
Cases in point. My 83 after selling to my x brother in law.
My current Scoot. Not bad. But so many things just not done right. :dunno

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm guilty of adding to the repair list as I go too. Might as well do this, might as well do that. Next thing you know a couple hundred more in parts on the way.

·
Registered
632 Posts
What's a few more Hundred for the Love of your life ? Be it your wife, girlfriend, or bike you have to keep them all happy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your talkin about a 24 year old scooter.....what'cha expect....:dunno
Exactly this to tell you the truth. I do enjoy working on it. I just find it interesting that so far I work on more than I ride it. I'm planning on swinging that pendulum the other way pretty soon though. Listening to college football and wrenching on it pretty good way to spend a Saturday.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts