Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 04 883 for almost two months now. The more I tinker with and clean it, the more I notice the bike has been laid down before. You can see on the caps of the throttle handle and foot peg on right hand side where it's been ground down in a slide. You fan also see where the mounting eye on the right shock on the rear broke off in the crash and was rewelded on and the bolt replaced with a grade 8 bolt. Notices the bolt a month ago and got one but not the shock. And also, not a result from the layover, but the left hand passenger footpeg is stripped out and won't tighten so or keeps falling down.

Questions are this. Are the rear pegs the same as front when purchasing? Can I just replace the end caps on the throttle and the foot peg or is it an all or nothing deal?

I am definitely concerned with the shock due to safety so I definitely wanna get both replaced, but I don't know what to get. I was told that the bike has been lowered, but I'm not sure since I've never had a factory sportster to compare so no idea what length shocks to get. On jiffy stand the shocks measure center to center at 10.25" or a hair longer so I'm guessing its a 10.5 or 11" shock. It rides rough now so ill prolly go with an 11" either way to help keep this lowered stance. What is a good brand to go with? I don't wanna spend a great deal since this is a first bike and isn't anything too special or expensive. Are the JP cycles any good?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
As far as shock length, they measure with no sag meaning, put bike on a frmae jack or if you dont have a jack, you can have a friend pull the bike over on the jiffy stand so that it takes weight off the shocks so you can get a true shock length measurement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok. i know its on its lowest setting and theres no give in them either, sucks on bumps. anyone know if JP cycles are any good?

·
Registered
712 Posts
oh ok. i know its on its lowest setting and theres no give in them either, sucks on bumps. anyone know if JP cycles are any good?
That is just an online retailer. I have dealt with them before, and they are pretty good. As for shocks, I am more or less in the same boat. Just ordered a set of Progressive, as that is the brand I have been seeing mentioned and suggested more than any other on here. But always do your own research, as you have to work with in your own budget.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I did see they have their own actual shocks tho. Probably a brand over. Are burlys any good? I know he progressives are but I can't fork out that kinda cash right now. I don't even know what shocks are on right now or how to take them off. There's some sort of cover over the top bolts so we shall see lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yea, I did see they have their own actual shocks tho. Probably a brand over. Are burlys any good? I know he progressives are but I can't fork out that kinda cash right now. I don't even know what shocks are on right now or how to take them off. There's some sort of cover over the top bolts so we shall see lol
Rear shocks are more or less gravy to do. You would be best with a motorcycle lift though. Find one on Craigslist or a yard sale or flea market near you. If that doesn't work. Pick one up at Harbor Freight tools. They have one that is usually on sale for under $100. You may need a couple pieces of 2x2 or 2x4 cut down to fit to avoid hitting the exhaust as well. Lift the bike until the rear wheel is just off the ground and it's 2 bolts and go on each side. If you have not already, be sure to pick up a manual as soon as you can. Likely have to order it, but it's worth the money. Just ordered mine yesterday, but I have never owned a vehicle (two or four wheel) with out having one handy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the service manual, surprisingly it was in stock lol. i figured out how to get to the bolts, theyre just covers. discovered i need to replace the top bolt and nut on the right side as well. i already bought the lower bolt/nut on the right side to put in it, i guess ill buy new for the left too so that its all matching (the ones on the left are hex head and the right will be torx bits). i guess im just gonna go with the progressive 412-hd in chrome for $299. wish i could find them cheaper!

·
Registered
712 Posts
It better be. Just ordered mine yesterday. Also doing my fork springs as well. Bit more work from what I am seeing and reading. But mostly painless.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Based on my reading it is common for the stock set to start giving out around 10k miles. Got my ride used, and have noticed it bottom out at times. And after having the OL on the bike for about 6 hours on the trip for Rolling Thunder, they got a bit abused.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just to give you an update, Zpayne. Put my rear shocks on on the 4th of July. It was relatively painless. But learned a lesson to pass on to anyone else about to do the same. Before trying to completely remove the bottom bolt, make sure the top is completely loosened or removed. I didn't do that and booggered up the threads on the bolt. Had to completely rethread it. The other side went smooth, but still needed a little help as I didn't use a lift to start with. Just needed my OL to push the bottom bolt in on the second side as I lifted the rear by the fender enough for the bolt to just slide in.
Finally got it out for a ride, and after everything settled into place, the bike felt much better. never bottomed out and the bumps I did feel were nice and soft. Overall, more than worth the money for me.
Double checked the stock length after it was all done. The shocks for mine came out to 11.75". It's an '09 XL1200c. Though it was used, it was all stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts