Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
King Frog
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the look. Had a bead on two of them here. 2004, 05 less than 5000 miles. $6000 and my 07 V Star 1300. One was carbed One EFI.
Beach bars on one, Custom pull backs on the other.

Test rode a Black one and I was surprised at how much it shook. Have not had a Harley since Mid 90's and it was an FXR. Don't remember it shaking much but I have been riding V Twin metrics since. I also rode a 2013 RK Classic and it was waaaay smoother.

Even at Highway speeds the floorboards were "buzzing" Is this typical of the older TC rubber mounted engines still? Since most of my riding is commuting and avg 40 MPH I think the RK would wear out its welcome fast.

Also test rode an 07 FXST with a 103 Kit and a Fat Boy Both extremely smooth B motors. I guess the shake and vibes are part of the experience. My metric ass no likey. Maybe there was something amiss with the bike. I may test ride the other Monday.

But for now my reentry bike looks like its going to be a softy.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The A motor Harleys shake at idle. It's just the way it is. But, they should smooth out completely at 2k. It was a bit off putting to me at first. Now I think it's cool.

In my experience, the B motor, while smooth at idle, actually has a touch of "buzz" at cruise RPM. It's subtle, but I think the A motor feels like it isn't working as hard when cruising. My Heritage felt more "wound up" and stressed at 3k than my EGC does. Don't know exactly why. Every touring bike I have ridden was smoother at 70 mph than a Softail.

The vibration the floorboard is not normal. Something's loose somewhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
+1 above. My Electra Glide engine jumps all around when idling. Once I get above 2,000 rpm it smooths right out. If there is anything touching between the rubber mounted engine/trans/exhaust and the frame, it will vibrate, buzz and in general make a nuisance.
I just remembered, the front motor mount rubber can collapse after a few years, and cause vibration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the above. Yes, my '05 FLHTCI shakes like a palsied Chihuahua at idle but smooths out nicely at cruising speed. Surprised the heck out of me, actually, since I have a background in metric cruisers as well and expected more vibration.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an '07 FLHRC. It shakes at idle, but not bothersome to me. It's been referred to as the "Harley Beat." It does smooth out as soon as the clutch is engaged or RPMs are up slightly. I was a little put off by it at first, but then I realized I had a bad ass bike and I embraced it. Wouldn't change it for anything right now. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts