Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I took off the windshield, and now I'm looking at the inner faring, Thinking, should I take it apart and have the inner faring painted? Should I leave it alone because of the work involved? Should I have it professionally painted or do it myself? Will I be getting into a disassemble I won't be able to re-assemble?
I could go any of these options.....

Where I disconnect from the world, my house for the bike...:nod
[URL=http://www.use.com/BVkvZ]

[/URL]

·
Retired citizen
23,374 Posts
Lotta work removing the inner fairing. Hint, if you do it take pics along the way especially of the wire harness routing.
Also the painted inner fairing reflects a lot of light that the dull black doesn't.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I wouldn't. Mainly due to the fact that your bike is black, the inner fairing is black; it's just not glossy like your tins. For me it's just too much work for a small reward.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Like all ready mentioned. I rode one that had a painted inner. Didn't like the glare. To me my gauges stand out more with the matte finish. I need to see my gauges more than a shiny inner fairing. To each his own.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I think the painted inner fairing is the best thing that you can do to the bike really sets it off and makes it look great!

·
Wayward Son
23,317 Posts
Have to agree. Bike is black, inner fairing is flat black. Adding any gloss\sheen may cause a glare.

How about some pin striping? :think
And it can be done with it on the bike.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
My buddy has the same year & black cherry color E.G.Classic as me. He painted his inner fairing, I haven't. I REALLY think it looks good!
I keep telling myself it is not worth the effort and probable glare.
I tell myself this over and over everytime I look at his bike.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I personally think a painted inner fairing is one of the best things you can do to make you bike stand out! Take your time, take plenty of pics, and be patient. You can do it!!

·
2,327 Posts
We have a group of 5 guys with Utra's, in storage. We have done 3 inner fairings so far, Mark all the connectors, so they go back the same way. The radio is the toughest to get out( damn side screws). But you got all winter. Well worth it. PM me if you run into a problem we can make a road trip, if your still at the Cape. ( we had them all professionally painted or bought)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Short answer is.....yes. It looks amazing painted to match.

It is fairly painless and easy. Take pics if you need to, label your gauges and wire connections if you need. Most of the connections are a no brainer. I would suggest buying the 3 pieces of rubber trim/molding new, as once they are taken off, new ones are ALOT easier.

If you get into trouble, you have my number.

I can do it in my sleep now..... :laugh

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There are a lot of bikes out there with painted inner fairings; so it won't really set you apart that much. Thunder had the best idea; pin striping. That can be done with no removal of the inner fairing and will be really unique and custom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Check out (Facebook) Paul "Harley Painted Fairings". This guy is top notch. You make an appointment with him, he brings an inner fairing that he's already painted, replaces yours with his, and takes yours back to paint for the next guy. And he does it in under an hour. A buddy of mine had his done in June. I was there and watched him. 47 minutes from start to finish. so if you can wait until he's in your area..... (plus the whole thing is almost cheaper than buying one from HD).
https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check out (Facebook) Paul "Harley Painted Fairings". This guy is top notch. You make an appointment with him, he brings an inner fairing that he's already painted, replaces yours with his, and takes yours back to paint for the next guy. And he does it in under an hour. A buddy of mine had his done in June. I was there and watched him. 47 minutes from start to finish. so if you can wait until he's in your area..... (plus the whole thing is almost cheaper than buying one from HD).
https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings
I'll check it out! Thanks!

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I don't have a fairing.

I've never stopped and noticed an inner fairing that wasn't painted.

I notice almost all that are.

I know nothing about fairing glare, but that sure sounds like an important consideration.

If I had a fairing, I'd color match paint the inner. I think it looks amazing.

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
I have a Light/Dark Root Beer paint scheme on my Street Glide. Wife bought me the matching painted inner faring one year as a present. Really set off the bike. Night and day difference. Have never noticed ANY glare at all. And this thing is super glossy. Like I said, no glare here.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If there's glare, I have never noticed. Both of my inner fairings (SG & RG) have been painted, and wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts