Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That HID kit is bright as heck. Not sold yet on the LED high beam. It doesnt have the "spotlight" pattern that a reg bulb throws. But its HID white. I put the hd daymaker aux lights in a couple of weeks ago and they're insanely bright. Now i need darkness to fully check these out. Sky Light Cloud Night Lens flare

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the verdict is in. the HID rocks and the LED replacement bulb is a waste. you cant even tell you flip the brites on. the SoCal HID and the daymaker aux lights light up the night. time to go pick up a silverstar to throw in the high beam.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
well the verdict is in. the HID rocks and the LED replacement bulb is a waste. you cant even tell you flip the brites on. the SoCal HID and the daymaker aux lights light up the night. time to go pick up a silverstar to throw in the high beam.

Does the HID turn off, or just so damn bright you can't tell the other turned on??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered a PIAA hyper white H9 bulb from my local offroad shop. We'll see how that does.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I tried the SoCal HID kit. Didn't care for it. The high beam LED was a joke and I didn't like how the HID comes on before you start the engine and then strains the ballast when starting the engine, dimming the HID. That bothered me the most so it went back.

Decided on the Truck-Lite LED headlight. Good light but better with the high beam on. Better than the HID? Not sure. Didn't care for the HID light pattern. Too scattered. The LED has a more focused lens and it has good side lighting but can't say if it is brighter than the HID.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you tell me the exact part # for the PIAA H9 ? I'm in the same boat, the
high beam was a joke, i have my stock bulb back in for now. thanks..
i will post part number tomorrow after i pick it up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can you tell me the exact part # for the PIAA H9 ? I'm in the same boat, the
high beam was a joke, i have my stock bulb back in for now. thanks..
PIAA H9 bulb Extreme White Text Electronic device Technology Font Material property

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I looked around online and found that PIAA bulb for the cost of around $50.00 +/-.

What I have learned about "high intensity" automotive bulbs is their life expectancy is usually much shorter than a regular bulb. So if that is true than...

Comparing the cost of that PIAA bulb to my Truck-Lite Phase 7 LED headlight which cost me around $170.00, I think the LED is a better overall purchase in the long run, unless of course, the PIAA light output is superior to the LED. After three of those PIAA bulbs burn out, you would have paid almost the same for what the Truck-Lite costs and the LED will keep on going and going. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked around online and found that PIAA bulb for the cost of around $50.00 +/-.

What I have learned about "high intensity" automotive bulbs is their life expectancy is usually much shorter than a regular bulb. So if that is true than...

Comparing the cost of that PIAA bulb to my Truck-Lite Phase 7 LED headlight which cost me around $170.00, I think the LED is a better overall purchase in the long run, unless of course, the PIAA light output is superior to the LED. After three of those PIAA bulbs burn out, you would have paid almost the same for what the Truck-Lite costs and the LED will keep on going and going. Just my $.02.
Agreed if doing the single bulb headlight. But im running the dual bulb light and have the SoCal HID low beam kit in. Was looking for a comparative bulb that wasnt flooded out by the HID.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts