Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who didn't see this, there are several new products for Softails on the H-D site:

107 -> 128 stage iv kit
114 -> 122 stage iii kit
131 crate engine
and the one primarily of interest to me: 114 -> 131 stage iv kit

To be clear, these are new for Softails, although in most cases, there were similar options for Touring bikes that could probably have been made to fit using aftermarket exhaust headers. But these are officially for Softails.

I'm seriously thinking about the 131 kit for my 2018 Heritage 114. I hvae a "K&N - Fuel Moto Custom Hi Flow Air Cleaner for M8 Ventilator", which I think will be ok. I have stock pipes with V&H slip-ons. My factory warranty expires on Sept. 24, so I'm not too worried about that. I have an extended warranty beginning on Sept. 25 from Discount ESP, which won't void the warranty due to aftermarket parts. They don't cover the aftermarket parts themselves, but they cover the bike as a whole. They do cover Screaming Eagle parts. So, I'd rather use the H-D 131 than S&S 128, but my K&H air cleaner or D&D pipes would be ok, I think.

My questions at this point:
  • Labor hours and prices seem all over the map, and I'm wondering if those reporting lower hours/cost are haggling, or if it's regional differences. I was quoted labor costs for the 117 kit between $2200 and $2400 from three H-D dealerships near me. I guess any stage iv kit would be about the same. I'm in North Carolina. Any advice on best price and quality for this type of upgrade?
  • I guess I need better pipes. Would D&D Fat Cats be a good option as far as performance? I know look and sound are subjective.
  • The H-D product page for the kit suggests an upgraded oil pump. It doesn't mention the clutch plate. Is the stock clutch plate strong enough for 131?
  • Since I have the PowerVision and since maintaining H-D warranty isn't a priority for me, is it ok to skip the Screaming Eagle tune and ask them to use the PowerVision, or do it myself after getting the bike back? Or can they even complete the build and return the bike without some kind of tune? Not sure if it would run poorly or not run at all in that situation.

I'm sure some of these questions are obvious-to-dumb, but that's where I am with this stuff. The purpose of the upgrade is simply fun and has nothing to do with "need". Thanks.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
D&D Fat Cats are top performers. The differences in labor costs are due to the differences in what the shop charges for hourly rates.

PowerVision is fine

I would recommend upgrading your 2018 oil pump. The later M8 motors come with an upgraded pump from the factory.

Check out the videos I posted in this thread:

In particular the ones about head bolts, cam chest, and clutch basket.

Reactions: Boog and KJinNC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Anybody have a shop to suggest, between Fayetteville and Richmond N-S, between Winston-Salem and Rocky Mount E-W? Doesn't necessarily need to be a H-D dealership if they do good work.

I haven't found a video or writeup yet of a Softail with this kit or the 131 crate engine installed. I'm sure they are out there but I guess it's not common yet. But if anybody is aware of a 131 Softail, I'd love to read/see. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 FLHCS 114ci, Woods 22x, Powervision, D&D Fatcat
75 Posts
Hello my two wheel brothers… I see this is an old thread and haven’t read through all of them but anyone that’s done the 114 to 131 kit have you had any issues with drastic mpg decrease, engine running hot etc ? And any results on the positive side?
Thank you for any response or directing me to a thread or info I may had missed👍

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
45,049 Posts
Hello my two wheel brothers… I see this is an old thread and haven’t read through all of them but anyone that’s done the 114 to 131 kit have you had any issues with drastic mpg decrease, engine running hot etc ? And any results on the positive side?
Thank you for any response or directing me to a thread or info I may had missed👍
See my pics in this thread. Took the dealer 3 tries to get a 131 motor to stay together.

3rd motor has been averaging 40 MPG after break in.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
2018 FLHCS 114ci, Woods 22x, Powervision, D&D Fatcat
75 Posts
Thank you and sounds like it worked out in the end ! I also see myself on that thread🤦‍♂️

1 - 6 of 6 Posts