Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Frontrider
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I can get a little assistance out there. Hubbie just bought a Road King and we would like to do a little riding together. I don't seem to develop the affinity for being a passenger. I am new to riding road/cruiser...had dirt bikes many moons ago. I have sat on a few and seem to like the low narrow feel of the slim, but have been told the fat boy may be more comfortable for longer rides. We likely won't do more than 3 - 4 hour rides here in north Georgia and surrounding area of Tennessee, North Carolina etc.

I am about 5'8" and pretty strong female, but don't want something so heavy it is hard for me to maneuver. Most females I talk with say they either have, or would get the softail slim.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
Test rides! New Models are out and there are bound to be several dealers offering ride days. Also check out a MSF motorcycle safety course. Many offer bikes, smaller ones though, and that will give you a few hours of riding to see how you like the weight. Really, the Fat Boy will not ride too much differently that the RK, it weights a bit more but not much. If the RK doesn't feel right then a Slim might be your best option. Plus remember if the weight feels borderline, consider stopping at a light and putting your foot down in some oil, always account for that and gravel and such.

·
Frontrider
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ematicic, I am actually registered for the MSF course next weekend, and you echoed my thoughts exactly. I find that I feel more secure sitting a little lower, I suspect that is why I, so far am liking the ride of the slim. I haven't wanted to subject bikes to my test riding until I had the course...I can get the willies our on their little honda's.....just sayin'

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
Softail Slim has the lowest seat height of any HD straight from the factory.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Fatboy feels more comfortable than a Slim. Test road both. Slim does sit lower not issue for me. You can change FB seat to lower and help with the reach. You said 3-4 hour rides are the norm for you. Depending on how many times or if you start longer rides, few days? The FB seems to be a better choice, Weight wise not much difference, check HD site and compare specs. Good Luck Just my 2 cents.

·
Frontrider
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much SoftailBilly. Good suggestion on lower the seat for the FB. Appreciate your 2 cents, and your service as veteran and Patriot Guard

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Thanks so much SoftailBilly. Good suggestion on lower the seat for the FB. Appreciate your 2 cents, and your service as veteran and Patriot Guard
Welcome, Ride Safe

·
Registered
844 Posts
My wife is 5'7", 125 lbs. and rides the Dyna Switchback model and likes it very much. As suggested, a lot of dealers have new models for demo rides. Get on one of those if you can. The Slim sounds like it would be a good ride, too.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a Breakout which is slightly taller than the Slim and slightly lower than the Fatboy. I'm 5' 7" and have no problems with the height. So, theoretically you shouldn't have any height issues with the Slim and may not with the FB. I also agree with testing both or more out to see what suits you best. Only you can decide which will be your best fit. Whatever your choice, enjoy!

·
Frontrider
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Sourge, I would love to test a Breakout too...however, I have looked at Breakout's, I am not sure how my husband would feel if I have much cooler bike than his... his RK is nice, but I really like the Breakout/FB/STSlim look so much better. Hiding the keys might become an issue all the time....

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
Thanks Sourge, I would love to test a Breakout too...however, I have looked at Breakout's, I am not sure how my husband would feel if I have much cooler bike than his... his RK is nice, but I really like the Breakout/FB/STSlim look so much better. Hiding the keys might become an issue all the time....
Your husband made his choice on what to ride, you make your own choice.

Reactions: wachuko

·
812 Posts
Test rides! New Models are out and there are bound to be several dealers offering ride days. Also check out a MSF motorcycle safety course. Many offer bikes, smaller ones though, and that will give you a few hours of riding to see how you like the weight. Really, the Fat Boy will not ride too much differently that the RK, it weights a bit more but not much. If the RK doesn't feel right then a Slim might be your best option. Plus remember if the weight feels borderline, consider stopping at a light and putting your foot down in some oil, always account for that and gravel and such.
Hi Frontrider. As many people as you ask, there will be just as many body types. I'm just a fraction shy of 6' feet but I'm long torsoed. (32"inch inseam) My fatboy is just about right. I wouldn't want it any higher. I had the slippery feet in gravel thing once. It was a bit unnerving. I didn't drop it but I did almost pull a thigh muscle fighting to keep it upright. Ride and choose. Good luck

And pics, have to have pics!
Yes pics. Include the bike in some of them. :)

Jonathan

Reactions: SoftailBilly

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The main thing with the Breakout is that it is raked out more in the front than the other two and some people find it harder to handle. I haven't ridden a Fatboy or Slim so I can't give any comparisons. But, I've seen some comments on the handling and that seems to be an issue.

·
Frontrider
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I noticed the rake on the breakout....likely why it I love the look of it, great point about handling though. Handling of it at low speeds may present more of a challenge for me, particularly if I am on something 600 pounds or more. Thanks for that input.

Pics will come....of the bike too!!

Incidentally, I looked up pictures of the first bikes I had, for anyone who wants a trip back in time....I had a Honda mini trail, all of 50cc, then a 70 followed by an SL 70...oh those were the days

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
The wide back tire of the BO helps at low speeds. Vintage pics are always welcome. If you did some trail riding before, that really opens up some options. Sure the engines are smaller but knowing how a bike acts on a dirt trail really gives you an edge on the road. Look forward to hearing what you pick.

·
Registered
42,156 Posts
If you did some trail riding before, that really opens up some options. Sure the engines are smaller but knowing how a bike acts on a dirt trail really gives you an edge on the road. Look forward to hearing what you pick.
Agree. I started out on a SL-125 (if you don't count the Briggs and Stratton mini-bikes).

1 - 20 of 75 Posts