Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen, I have a 99 Softail Custom with a 5 speed tranny. recently when I downshift, usually from 5th to 4th, it misses a gear alignment & acts like its in neutral, when I downshift again it will go in to the correct gear ??? I know I am not shifting light, the only time this happens is between 5th down to 4th. Something is clearly worn or not aligned properly. I am very mechanically inclined I just need some advise . Any one out there have any ideas or suggestions ?? If so I would greatly appreciate it. Quigely4590.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello gentlemen, I have a 99 Softail Custom with a 5 speed tranny. recently when I downshift, usually from 5th to 4th, it misses a gear alignment & acts like its in neutral, when I downshift again it will go in to the correct gear ??? I know I am not shifting light, the only time this happens is between 5th down to 4th. Something is clearly worn or not aligned properly. I am very mechanically inclined I just need some advise . Any one out there have any ideas or suggestions ?? If so I would greatly appreciate it. Quigely4590.
Have you checked your Paw adjustment ???????????

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
Difficult to do on a Softail but remove the top cover and inspect the shift drum. Make sure the 4 bolts are tight. Then go thru the 3rd gear neutral adjustment procedure.
Also do the clutch adjustment procedure to eliminate that as a cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts