Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the lightest of the Softail Harley's & which is the lightest of the Dyna series ?
In completely stock form which of the above is the quickest/fastest?
Also which has the most hop-up capabilities ?
Which bike handles the best on curvy mountain roads ?
My reason for inquiring is , I'm torn between keeping my Dyna Glide & buying a Softy .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm so new to the Harley brand I can hardly tell the difference between most models and the family they belong in. I do know I wouldn't put my stock 12' Heritage Softail in the best curvy mountain handling category. With it's 24 and 25 degree lean angles I constantly scrape the floorboards. The sound doesn't bother me but it drives my Fatboy riding buddies crazy. :know

I wouldn't mind more lean angle capability but coming from the sport bike seen I take the HSC for what it is plus I sure like the way the bike looks as it sits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dynas are all about function, Softails are all about looks. Whichever is more important to you should answer your question.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,358 Posts
Which is the lightest of the Softail Harley's & which is the lightest of the Dyna series ?
My reason for inquiring is , I'm torn between keeping my Dyna Glide & buying a Softy .

"Lightest" of softails is likely the Standard. Not sure there's much difference in weight between a Superglide and a Streetglide. Especially if one has alloy wheels (lighter) vs steel spokes. (Heavier)

Both have the same engine/trans, so "fastest" is between rider skills.

Same with modding capabilities. Same drivetrain, although softails have the B-engine, with the counter balance shaft due to non-rubber mounted engine.

Dyna Superglide handles better then any other bike, in the Big Twin class. Light, powerful and a 28* rake VS 34* and up for the other models. Less rake means quicker and easier steering response in cornering.

Softail will let you stretch out more, unlike stock Dyna controls, unless you spring for forward controls.

Softail will give you a more plush ride, but limit your weight carrying capabilities. If you're 180lbs and your gal is 120 lbs, then it's great. If you're 250 and she's 180, then it can be an issue.

Both are great bikes. It's personal choice time.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Thanks for asking these questions I have just about ruled out the Dyna myself because I like the look of the Wide glide but my legs and arms are to short for it to be comfortable and I'm not crazy about the standard seating position of the superglide. But after hearing about how well the superglide handles it may be back in the running.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an o4 wideglide with 16" apes and mid controls (put on at the dealer)- I can corner better than my buddy's 03 super glide without trying hard. We swapped bikes for a bit, but he liked his drag bars better. I couldn't wait to get back on mine- I hadda work hard to keep up! It felt as if I was back on my 98 1200 sporty! Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have over sized tires on my dyna (fatbob) 150 in the front 200 in the back. have a lot of friends with harleys and drive aggressive but no1 but my friend with a buel can handle the curves with me. so my vote is dyna with big tires. incl streetbob/fatbob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dynas are all about function, Softails are all about looks. Whichever is more important to you should answer your question.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App
That's total BS. My bud did nothing but bitch about the smaller front tire handling with his 02 wide glide on a highway that was ruff. My fatboy handled great!

Softail for the larger front tire, you can't go wrong with the ride!

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's total BS. My bud did nothing but bitch about the smaller front tire handling with his 02 wide glide on a highway that was ruff. My fatboy handled great!

Softail for the larger front tire, you can't go wrong with the ride!
You can change the front tire wheel combination on a Dyna, can't you? My vote would be for the Dyna.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Depends on what you want. Every bike in the Harley is made to fit a specific need. The sportsters are more sport/cruiser, higher center of gravity and different gearing so it is still plenty quick. Dyna is light, smaller frame with a big motor giving it great agility for more sporty riding with the power of the big twin motor. Softails are barebones power and comfort mixed in a perfect marriage. In my opinion, the softails offer the best overall bike in the entire line Harley makes. You can make a softail as comfortable as you want and as fast and powerful as you want; can't say the same on any other line. Dynas come in close second but let's face it, you can't make a dyna as comfy and smooth as a softail but you can make a softail as mean and aggressive as a dyna.

If you want the best all around bike, go with a softail.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Softail will give you a more plush ride, but limit your weight carrying capabilities. If you're 180lbs and your gal is 120 lbs, then it's great. If you're 250 and she's 180, then it can be an issue.

Both are great bikes. It's personal choice time.
Im 240, my wife last known was 150. She won't tell me what she weighs now, I'm sure it's closer to 170. She has thyroid problems and the meds are not working as well. We never have an issue, and I pull a LX bunk house trailer with 50 lb tung weight. I have never bottomed out.

A friend, God rest his soul, had a 68 and he broke the kicker. It was stroked, it would no way push start!! I road him around town making a couple stops at friends looking to borrow a kicker arm so we could get his bike home. He's 280, my 240, do the math. It added up to no problems at all! The only issue was his big gut pushing in my back! We got my pickup then pull started it. We road 3.5 hours to JP cycle leaving it running for the gas stop. The guys at JP gave him the wrench to put the kicker arm on.

The thing I love most about the softail mono shocks is the firm ride. It handles just as well around corners too. My friend with the 01 wide glide took a corner to fast and he ended up with a front end wobble. It was so bad I about hit him when he let off the throttle, then he went in the on coming lane because he lost his momentum to make the turn. Thankfully he got it under control. My friend with a 86 FXR gets terrable front end wobbles at 100, I've been beside him on a 4 lane to see it do this. The only softail I've seen with front end wobbles at high speed was a 01 springer.

Now to the op, your not going to get the right answer for you, I've ridden with, and still ride with lots of bikes. I have never seen a dyna, softail, street glide bla bla bla be the best bike. If you have to think about changing your obvious not happy with what you have. So make the change.

·
Turgid Member
1,254 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I notice how everyone endorses their bike. It shows what great models H-D puts out. I haven't spent any time on my Heritage yet, but my sportster fit me perfectly, was powerful and nimble as hell. Whatever you chose you're gonna love, just make sure you like the looks, because the bike will be great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded my 2012 Superglide in for a leftover 2012 Fatboy, so I have some experience owning and riding both. Here's my take. The Superglide had much better ground clearance and handling through the curves. The 96 inch motor with a Screamin Eagle air cleaner, a Rinehart 2 into 1 and a Powervision tuner was as quick if not quicker than the Fatboy with the 103, S&S air cleaner, Samson 2 into 2 pipes and the Powervision tuner. I believe the equalizer here was the choice of pipes, 2 into 1 definitely better performance wise and the lighter weight of the Dyna. The fatboy is much better for 2 up riding. More room for both rider and passenger, and the suspension provides a much plusher ride, especially the front end. The ground clearance on the Fatboy sucks. I scrape the rider floorboards at even modest lean angles, and more so with a passenger, and yes the rear suspension preload has been adjusted to the proper setting. So, as others have said, it depends on what you are looking for. The dyna for spirited riding (as spirited as you can get on a Harley) through the curves, or a more relaxed cruising attitude on the Softail.

·
mmi graduate
16 Posts
I have owned a 2000 model super glide. Loved the bike and still wish I had it. The tc88 1450ci motors are a beast. I myself just had a stage one carb kit pipes and a hyper charger air filter. Ran against a bran new gs600 rocket and he could not pass me after I cracked the throttle..Not a topical women's bike but can be for both since I liked the ride and handling of the bike. Ground clearance was great less you have turn down pipes like I did. Plus I was lowered two inches in the rear to keep it from standing up on me. Yet I'm a 140lb rider. Even got comments for handling such bike lol. Also ride a 1994 Springer and just the differ from the two the Springer is heavier with the different's in the front ends and motor size. Could also change the mag wheel to a spoke wheel. Long as you got the same size rim I would say you would not have to do any adjustments to the front end.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.