Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2014 heritage softtail I want to put led headlight on just not sure which one to get hd has day maker kuryakyn has the phase 7 has anyone tried them? just not sure which works the best thanks

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
My opinion is that the Daymaker works best.

My unscientific methodology was to take note at last year's Bikes Blues & BBQ rally in Fayetteville Ark, at which LED headlights looked the brightest coming towards me.

The Daymakers looked noticeably brighter to me.

Bright enough that someone I rode there with put them on his Road Glide,
(Read that he had to buy 2 of em!)
after riding ahead of me after sundown....

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just put a Phase 7 LED headlight on my '12 Fat Boy Lo. I really like the smooth coverage, no horizontal line like both Daymakers have. Bright white light. The only thing I don't like is the peripheral coverage in a tight turn when using hi beam. If you're going straight the peripheral coverage is only about a foot shorter with hi beam only than it is with passing lamps. It's when you turn the wheel to make the turn, such as turning into a driveway, that inside corner is in the dark. On lo beam and with the passing lights on there's plenty of coverage.

A friend has the Daymaker projector on his bike and I've ridden it several times at night for comparison. I much prefer the Phase 7 but YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
4,354 Posts
I love the daymaker and the light pattern. I was concerned that the lines would bother me but after I adjusted the light in accordance with the manual, the lights light up the road and the sides where deer hang out. Also, cornering with this light is very effective.

Not sure which has a longer warranty but I would give that some consideration.

Also, I do run the 5 3/4 daymaker, not sure whcih size you are looking at. I honestly don't think you will regret either.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
Looks like it's crooked.

What I don't get about the phase 7 is why do they point the LEDs backwards and shine them off the reflector.... no reflector is 100% reflective, so you're loosing some brightness by doing that. Perhaps not enough to worry about, but. Just for looks? :think

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I am pretty sure that both lights are 'phase 7.' If you have a 7" headlight, you can buy the motorcycle version from Trucklites for around $200. That is who makes the headlights for Kurakyn.

Pete

I have 2014 heritage softtail I want to put led headlight on just not sure which one to get hd has day maker kuryakyn has the phase 7 has anyone tried them? just not sure which works the best thanks

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
I am pretty sure that both lights are 'phase 7.' If you have a 7" headlight, you can buy the motorcycle version from Trucklites for around $200. That is who makes the headlights for Kurakyn.

Pete
Nope.

Phase 7 are made by Trucklite.

Daymaker is made by JW Speaker.

·
NevRL8
187 Posts
i went with a Headwinds replacement bulb on my '07 Heritage. not sure if all LED headlights have the large (flip-phone size) converter but it was the biggest part of the job, getting it mounted inside the headlite housing. the difference is amazing though, like a large dusk to dawn light hanging over the road.

a little over $100 with shipping & installed myself.

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
I just put a Phase 7 LED headlight on my '12 Fat Boy Lo. I really like the smooth coverage, no horizontal line like both Daymakers have.
Because nothing says Howdy like blinding oncoming traffic with a poorly designed headlight.

The only thing I don't like is the peripheral coverage in a tight turn when using hi beam.
Like, because the Phase 7 is a CAR headlight, not designed for a bike? And because it has to comply with Auto regulations it shuts off the low beam when the hi beam is selected? The Daymaker was designed for bikes, and as such it's allowed to leave the low beam on while the hi beam is selected... as in this photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never used a phase 7 but the daymaker on my roadking lives up to its name. Not sure how i rode other bikes at night before.

·
Registered
476 Posts
One big advantage of the Daymaker is that the low beam stays on when the high beam is on. Rode with a friend that has one and when riding next to him I could hardly tell my headlight was on. Then he hit the high beam.. Great distance and side coverage. Takes all of five minutes to install if that. Now that it's dark out early it's my next upgrade. $325 is pretty cheap to help avoid a deer collision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts