Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Harleys...............I have a 2003 1200 sportster, solid mount motor............from what im reading on some threads this is a POS compared to a rubber mount sportster, say 2004 later.

Havent ridden the bike much since I bought it..........am I better off just trading it up to a 2004 or later model or what.

Bascially I use this bike for a just around town deal, maybe a trip of 100 miles or less.

Hate to get rid of the bike, but if the rubber mount motor is that much smoother , I may have to.

Thanks

Rich

·
Retired citizen
22,047 Posts
If it vibrates too much to the point of being uncomfortable you could install ISO grips and ISO pegs.

·
Banned
366 Posts
its the same frikkn bike man, dudes who never really been around harleys or worked on em usually think whatever they bought is the best so the 1st time buyers with a rubber mount talk a lot of trash on the rigid mount bikes :/
bottom line is stock theyre nearly identical in power even though the factory rating was boosted but factory ratings are usually BS. the advantage the rubber has is buell 1200 heads but they nullified that very small gain by adding over 100lbs weight & adding a slightly wider rear tire (wide tires eat power n maake it hard turning). the heads need some help in the motor n exhaust upgrades to do any diff.
i personally like it when im sitting at the lights bike just a rumbling & handlebars shaking in tune, actually when im sittn at the lights beside any other brand it just amplifies the fact im drowning out their jap/limey/kraut bikes bigtime LOL i mean when you see the frustration on these dudes faces that theyre stuck revving wimpy soundin right beside your rumbling thunder to where the whole bike vibrates a little LOL they try get outta there sooo fast LOL

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Don't let anybody tell ya a rubbermount don't vibrate. If they do, there full of poop. Ya got a good scooter......ride it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
The rubber mount engines are smoother, but mostly on the highway. At slower speeds, such as around town, there is not as much difference. Not worth taking a beating on selling or trading what you got.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks a lot guys, guess I was getting a little paranoid, this is my first Harley ever, just wanted to make sure things are good to go. Im gonna look into those iso grips and pegs.

Rich

·
Registered
695 Posts
As long as you have good rubber grips and a seat with some decent padding (to absorb some of the vibes), a solid mount isn't bad, especially around town and on short trips. I ride an old Ironhead that's a paint shaker, but I enjoy every ride I take on it.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
If you like what you have don't even think about whether you should have bought a newer bike or not. I ride a 98 1200C and love everything about it. To me the rumble and a little vibration only adds to the experience and all those furin rice burner riders can only wish their bike was as awesome as a Harley. When I can't stand a little vibration I'll trade it for a rocking chair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you like what you have don't even think about whether you should have bought a newer bike or not. I ride a 98 1200C and love everything about it. To me the rumble and a little vibration only adds to the experience and all those furin rice burner riders can only wish their bike was as awesome as a Harley. When I can't stand a little vibration I'll trade it for a rocking chair.
Well said.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even though i do not own a Harley yet, i have done much research on Harleys/Sportsters. I literally spend hours a day looking and researching about different sportsters ( i am obsessive compulsive). I have read that rubber mounted engines are smoother, but that some people actually prefer the solid mount because of these factors.

1. solid mount engines are easier to work on than the rubber mounted engines because of some sort of side plating on the rubber mounted engines.

2. Some people actually prefer the way the bike feels with the solid mounted engine. Feels more like a harley i guess

3. I heard that if you go on longer trips, your hands and butt will get numb by the end of the trip on a solid mount bike. Of course this is all relative, i read the younger bikers didnt even have this issue with the bike. Older bikers complained about this more.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry, forgot one other thing.

I had read that the 2003 there last solid mount, and there 2004 models which started rubber mounting have a weight difference. From what i recall, the 2003 models were about 75 pounds lighter than the 2004 models with rubber mounted engines. So my guess is for some reason the solid mount bikes are slightly lighter. Which to some people means better handling because the bike is lighter.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Even though i do not own a Harley yet, i have done much research on Harleys/Sportsters. I literally spend hours a day looking and researching about different sportsters ( i am obsessive compulsive). I have read that rubber mounted engines are smoother, but that some people actually prefer the solid mount because of these factors.

1. solid mount engines are easier to work on than the rubber mounted engines because of some sort of side plating on the rubber mounted engines.

2. Some people actually prefer the way the bike feels with the solid mounted engine. Feels more like a harley i guess

3. I heard that if you go on longer trips, your hands and butt will get numb by the end of the trip on a solid mount bike. Of course this is all relative, i read the younger bikers didnt even have this issue with the bike. Older bikers complained about this more.

Hope that helps!
Yep...

the transmission trap door makes it way easier to service their transmissions. You don't have to split the cases. Which is costly.

Sorry, forgot one other thing.

I had read that the 2003 there last solid mount, and there 2004 models which started rubber mounting have a weight difference. From what i recall, the 2003 models were about 75 pounds lighter than the 2004 models with rubber mounted engines. So my guess is for some reason the solid mount bikes are slightly lighter. Which to some people means better handling because the bike is lighter.

Yep. Also more lean angles too.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
I have an '02 Dyna. Son has an '88 Sporty. Uncle has an '03 Sporty 1200. There is a vibration difference, but to tell you the truth, I have a ball on those Sportys, and in my opinion, the sound (he has Screamin' Eagle exhaust, uncle has Vance & Hines straight shots) is the best around - even just at idle.

Also - grips do make a difference, as does a seat upgrade. Lots of options out there to make it feel right for you. Have fun!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
There is one strange critter who ride sporties.....me:laugh
Fixed it for you Zeta :rollin:rollin

Actually nah....Count me in. I'm a strange critter too!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I too am looking into getting a 2001 Sporty, rigid mount. I rode a friend's some years ago and loved it. There is something attractive to me about the rigid mount and the feel. That said, I've never been on it for an extended period of time nor at high speed. Seeing how I could also find an '04 or later with a rubber mount, at this stage of my search would you advise me away from the rigid mount? They are priced more aggressively so are more affordable to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts