Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for almost a year now come next month, and my bike is a 2010 Sportster 883 Iron.

The only deal-killer is the notorious vibration problem at highway speeds. It turns my hands and forearms numb and painful. I don't think it's safe to drive down the interstate/freeway when I can't feel my hands!

I've tried 4 different types of gloves, including some with gel pads that were advertised to damp down vibration...yet I'm still having the same problem.

I've tried loosening up my grip as much as I can while still maintaining minimal contact with the bike, and that helps the left hand somewhat, right hand not so much.

What can I do, short of trading it in for a Road King or Victory?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I've been riding for almost a year now come next month, and my bike is a 2010 Sportster 883 Iron.

The only deal-killer is the notorious vibration problem at highway speeds. It turns my hands and forearms numb and painful. I don't think it's safe to drive down the interstate/freeway when I can't feel my hands!

I've tried 4 different types of gloves, including some with gel pads that were advertised to damp down vibration...yet I'm still having the same problem.

I've tried loosening up my grip as much as I can while still maintaining minimal contact with the bike, and that helps the left hand somewhat, right hand not so much.

Heighten the gearing. It'll help alot. All you need is a front sprocket. 30T

You'll loose some low end power but if vibes are that much of a problem for you than im sure it'll be worth it.

Also, more padded grips can help

·
Registered
104 Posts
Being a rider of a vibe-o-matic 94 xlh1200, I'd advise higher gearing, kuryakyn iso pegs and grips, polyeutherane in the handlebar risers, and maybe a bar snake. That's what I run on mine and I still get some vibration but you should really be glad you don't have the bike I do if you're not enjoying the vibes.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
hand-numbing vibes... one of the reasons that my sportster is about to become a Road Glide
Take pics. I love that mod........ :thumb

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
OP,,my 2008 EFI1200 Is super smooth even before I modified the suspension.
70-80-90 mph It just wants to go faster.
I do get some vibes right at 4,200 rpms but they are short lived.

OK Rider position has alot to do with Numbing hands n arms but lets assume you are not holding wrong or slumped over too far, Lets assume something Is wrong......

From the top,,

Handle bars tight ? risers not loose ?? (I found a riser finger tight once)

Upper engine mount bolts work loose on many rubber mounts, these bolts are problematic.

A miss adjusted or cracked front lower rubber mount will make that bike shake bad.

Drive belt too tight, wheel alignment off a tad,
Steering head fall off not correct ?
Forks binding,

IMPROPER rider sag set up causes a world of problems...

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Ok Next thing,,
You got big hands ??

The factory skinny grips are for Girly hands,,little hands. Those grips hurt me pretty bad.
I fixed it for $4,, and they are still working.
Foam grip wraps from J&P Cycles,,$4,,I got 2 pair,,,first pair still doing well 3rd summer now.

Next Is the Cramp Buster thing,,google it...
then there Is Vibrinators,,,Google that...

Note: If you Zoom the hell outta the second picture you can see the foam wraps on my grips.
The Increased diameter and vibration damping of the foam works for me.
The Cramp buster I got also from J&P has velcro,,never moves and works great keeping me
from squeezing the throttle grip and killing my hand..

Attachments

·
Official COA Hunter
276 Posts
When was the last time the fork oil was done. My sporty was a horrible shaker at highway speeds (70+) when I got her. I checked the front sag and it was fine so I changed the fork oil to one slightly heavier. The problem went away either from fresh and/or heavier fork oil. I can go much faster now without an issue.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
The plug firing sequencing as such of the Harley engine is the first (front) cylinder fires, the second (rear) cylinder fires 315° later, then there is a 405° gap until the first cylinder fires again. This design, which causes the pistons to fire at uneven intervals gives it that unique choppy sound and is covered under several US Patents. Buying a Harley has never been for the weak of heart. Harley is a symbol and you need to feel it.
I ride a ’98 Sportster and I don’t have a problem with a smooth ride as long as you don’t have to compromise. My bike has been raked which I think probably helps but when I can’t stand the vibration I will trade my sporty for a rocking chair.

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts

Check out an old thread titled "Vibration with pre 2004 sporsters"
Last post 01-26-2012

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Ok Next thing,,
You got big hands ??

The factory skinny grips are for Girly hands,,little hands. Those grips hurt me pretty bad.
I fixed it for $4,, and they are still working.
Foam grip wraps from J&P Cycles,,$4,,I got 2 pair,,,first pair still doing well 3rd summer now.

Next Is the Cramp Buster thing,,google it...
then there Is Vibrinators,,,Google that...

Note: If you Zoom the hell outta the second picture you can see the foam wraps on my grips.
The Increased diameter and vibration damping of the foam works for me.
The Cramp buster I got also from J&P has velcro,,never moves and works great keeping me
from squeezing the throttle grip and killing my hand..
I don't have a severe problem with my 2010 883L. It vibes a bit between 50-60 mph then smooths out nicely up to 80. I just haven't gone any faster.

I thikn the foam wraps look like a good idea and I'm going to order a set. The cramp buster was the first add-on to my Sporty when I got it. Works as adverstised and very nice to have.

I did notice that replacing the stock seat with a Mustang solo cut vibes down considerably. Maybe a lot of vibration coming up through your butt into your upper body? And I replace the riders foot pegs with ISO pegs and that made a huge difference in felt vibes through my feet.

Its really amazing to me how little changes can make big differences in the feel and ride of a Sporty.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Dead on the mark Ratso XD

Ricor Intimidators up front,
5 wt honda fork oil,
Grip wraps,
Cramp Buster,
Super Brace,,I wont ride without one.
Proper preload front and rear,
Works performance Street Trackers out back,
Mustang Vintage solo 12.5"wide...

The HD quarter fairing lets me hold the bars real light so the front end
can move as Intended, I don't hav'ta "hang on" In Hurricane force winds XD

I've been on a late model dyna,,
Only thing the Dyna has on My Roadster Is that sixth gear.....

For any riding under 80 mph I'm jest fine.....

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts

5 wt honda fork oil,
Grip wraps,
Cramp Buster,

off subject love the home made lift..are those 2x6 or 2x8"\'

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK Rider position has alot to do with Numbing hands n arms but lets assume you are not holding wrong or slumped over too far, Lets assume something Is wrong......
Well now, since I'm still technically a newbie (only been riding since May 2011, and have only 5,000 miles under my belt), it actually COULD be my riding position. We have a LOT of wind here in central Texas in winter and spring, and I've been slumping over to minimize my drag profile.

Talk to me, please, about how to sit ergonomically on the bike so as to avoid numbness (since I've never heard about that!)

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts

5 wt honda fork oil,
Grip wraps,
Cramp Buster,

Me wonders if shooting the handlebar tubes with some of that yellowish spray in foam insulation, you can get at just about any hardware store, would dampen the vibration in the hand grips. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet you got something loose,,,some where.
Thanks for all the good problem-solving, Osco, I appreciate it!

Nope, I don't have big hands...I'm a 5'2" female, and for my firefighter gear I wear medium-sized men's gloves that are slightly big on me.

I bought my bike slightly used, with 3,500 miles on it, so it had never had a tune-up. And I couldn't afford the 5K tune-up since I was unemployed, but now that I have 8,500 miles on the bike I'm going to make it a priority to get my 10k miles tune-up since I have a job now.

Yes, mechanically, something loose would make sense...that or poor riding position.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts