Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 street bob with stock suspension.The problem here in my country is that speed bumps are made anywhere the authorities feel like and not to specification (it's only on paper) They like to just dump some tar across the roads and it scrapes the under side even with one up .With two up it 's worst.
Was thinking of changing over to longer rear springs (progressive 13 inch 444's) .Will it solve my problem .Will it have any adverse effect on riding with the rear raised?
Thanks in advance.

·
Just Ride
3,885 Posts
When your front tire just starts to go over it accelerate. Don't stop until your rear tire is over it.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Send a nice letter and ask them to put a void in it for motorcycles. If that doesn't work, tell them they need two voids for the Ambulance tires to go through or they can end up in trouble if it causes trouble in the ambulance.

The most important thing is do not brake as you go over. A little accell after the front tire rolls over will help extend the shocks. Two up, you're going to drag no matter what you do.

You could sneak out there with a sledge hammer and pound a section down a little so your bike doesn't rub.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some good advice.
To answer your question about longer shocks, it will make a big difference. The longer travel will also make it more comfortable on crappy roads.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Longer rear shocks are the best thing that happened to my FXD. I put on 13 3/8" Ohlins S36E and could not be happier. These are not the cheapest solution but the performance is excellent. I didn't mind spending the money on them. You can spend far more on power mods you'll rarely use. The shocks literally save my ass from everything I ride over every day, no regrets. 1000% better than the stock garbage Harley puts on. Did not raise the front end of the bike but did switch to stock length Progressive springs, nose dive under braking reduced without spoiling the ride.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
My sportster is clearance challenged (3 1/4" ). I've found that some power on helps also with lean clearance.
Been thinking about a little taller shocks in the back also. The only thing I can see changing is the front could become a little more responsive and slightly less stable but the ability of the rear to absorb the ground should far outweigh it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.