Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 FLHTP - with a 103, basically a touring model. Has around 62,000 miles now.

Recently the rear end someplace is making metal squeeking/shimming sound. It only does it when the bike get's warm say after about 20 min's. The noise does seem to change with speed, hard to tell over the engine and mufflers, which are stock.

I've researched the belt "chirp" and not sure that is the problem. Cleaned the belt and sprocket and no change. Pulled the rear wheel off checked wheel bearings they seem ok, rotate like they should, re anit-sezied the axle and parts and put it back together and checked the belt tension all good.

Checked over the saddlebags and components, and other frame parts, oiled exhaust hanger rubber, all good.

Any ideas, could it be the bearings and I'm just not seeing it?

·
Registered
732 Posts
As a shot in the dark, I have a similar squeak that I could not locate. I had some work done by my HD tech whom I trust explicitly with my bike for work I won't do, said I have a "tight rod set"
not exactly sure what that means but translated to an out of round bearing. It's accompanied by hard starts. He told me it'll get worse until I get it fixed.
Which will be this winter as he said it won't leave me stranded.......not saying this is your problem, just relaying what I have since we both have same year power plants.

Reactions: sburns

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a shot in the dark, I have a similar squeak that I could not locate. I had some work done by my HD tech whom I trust explicitly with my bike for work I won't do, said I have a "tight rod set"
not exactly sure what that means but translated to an out of round bearing. It's accompanied by hard starts. He told me it'll get worse until I get it fixed.
Which will be this winter as he said it won't leave me stranded.......not saying this is your problem, just relaying what I have since we both have same year power plants.
Thanks for the feedback, at least it gives me some more context of where to look.

·
Registered
911 Posts
62,000 miles is a lot of miles on a bearing . . . might be good preventative maintenance to replace the bearings regardless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
62,000 miles is a lot of miles on a bearing . . . might be good preventative maintenance to replace the bearings regardless.
I have been thinking about it, I bought a set but I am not sure my bearing puller is up to the task.
I know another rider who replaces the bearings at every tire change.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You said you oiled the exhaust hanger rubber piece. I had a similar noise to what you described, and it was coming from there. I tried multiple lubes and none worked for more than a few days. Ended up replacing them, which is really cheap to do. Noise went away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You said you oiled the exhaust hanger rubber piece. I had a similar noise to what you described, and it was coming from there. I tried multiple lubes and none worked for more than a few days. Ended up replacing them, which is really cheap to do. Noise went away.
Curious what did you replace them with? Just new ones or something else?

I've replaced both rubber hangers with new ones and oiled them. I am fairly certain the noise isn't coming from there since it changes with speed.

But you never know with these bikes :LOL:🤷‍♂️

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hi I am a motion designer and I want to make a video with 3d model of Harley Davidson. I need a help from you. I have some questions about this motorcycle. I will be very grateful if you will answer. 1) Why do you like this model? (HD) 2) What do you associate a Harley Davidson with? 3) What colors do you like in motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Curious what did you replace them with? Just new ones or something else?

I've replaced both rubber hangers with new ones and oiled them. I am fairly certain the noise isn't coming from there since it changes with speed.

But you never know with these bikes :LOL:🤷‍♂️
I replaced them with unicorn kidneys.

OK, seriously, I replaced them with ones from drag specialty. Not a fan of drag specialty but they were available the day I went to get them so for $7 or so I gave them a try. If you already replaced yours, not likely your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been putting up with a chirping too. My ElectraGlide has 50,000 miles on it. When i look at the belt (where i figure it's coming from, the belt and pulleys look to be in pretty good shape except one little corner of slightly, ever so slightly difference. Anyway, I bought some 303 that's supposed to be good for belts and after i spray it the sound is gone. Within 40 miles after using the 303 the sound starts to slowly come back. It take about the same 20 minutes of running each time as things warm up before the chirp comes back. I'm obviously still thinking it's just a belt chirp. If anyone else has a thought it would be welcomed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been putting up with a chirping too. My ElectraGlide has 50,000 miles on it. When i look at the belt (where i figure it's coming from, the belt and pulleys look to be in pretty good shape except one little corner of slightly, ever so slightly difference. Anyway, I bought some 303 that's supposed to be good for belts and after i spray it the sound is gone. Within 40 miles after using the 303 the sound starts to slowly come back. It take about the same 20 minutes of running each time as things warm up before the chirp comes back. I'm obviously still thinking it's just a belt chirp. If anyone else has a thought it would be welcomed.
Very interesting. I am not familiar with 303, do you have a product link or more info, I would like to look into it.

Apparently you are not suppose to lube the belt, and I guess as best practicies it would only mask the problem, but if that issue isn't sevre it might be the solution!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I pulled the rear wheel off again tonight to double check the bearings. They all turn quite freely except the left wheel bearing, I needed a bit more force then the rest. I am hoping this is the issue. I will go ahead an replace it.

Anyone recommend a wheel bearing tool? I've seen some on amazon, will check what my local parts supplier has as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very interesting. I am not familiar with 303, do you have a product link or more info, I would like to look into it.

Apparently you are not suppose to lube the belt, and I guess as best practicies it would only mask the problem, but if that issue isn't sevre it might be the solution!
This 303 doesn't really lube the belt. It's supposed to penetrantly replace lost oil in belts, protect from UV rays, etc. I got mine from an ebay store. Just type in ebay with 303 aerospace protectant. If you see it in a lighter blue bottle it's the same stuff. I'm going to try to put a pic of it in here. We'll see how that goes...Lol
303 protectant.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This 303 doesn't really lube the belt. It's supposed to penetrantly replace lost oil in belts, protect from UV rays, etc. I got mine from an ebay store. Just type in ebay with 303 aerospace protectant. If you see it in a lighter blue bottle it's the same stuff. I'm going to try to put a pic of it in here. We'll see how that goes...Lol
Excellent, thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts