Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the new Sony HDR-AS100V video camera. While I like the live view remote and image stabilization, the wind noise from the built in microphones is terrible. There is a cover on the bottom you open to access the plug for a remote microphone, but you can't open it with the camera in the waterproof case or with the tripod mount. So I made this cradle out of thin sheet metal to give access to the plug.
I attach the camera with rubber bands and run the microphone to the back of the motorcycle to pick up the exhaust sound.

I've made three more that I place in different places to get other angles.

This is a video I made just trying it out. There is some tire and brake noise but no wind noise.Back roads on Vimeo

I don't know if this will help anybody or give some ideas but I thought I would post it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Two years ago I had the light bulb go off also. I mounted the microphone behind my rear fender strut, right over the end of the exhaust. No wind noise and nice engine noise for me as well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I got the idea from you! I knew I had seen it on this forum, I just had to come up with a way to mount the camera and be able to plug in the microphone without drilling holes in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Video wouldn't play for me dammit.
Welcome from Kansas

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Oops.
I think I need to go to the "I'm Drunk" Thread.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
What, There's a thread here like that?

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
I have the same unit. I purchased the bike handlebar mount and attached it to the engine guards. It goes on super tight and mounts directly to the unit. I have had it like this for over 5,000 miles with no issues, I can get you picks if you like. Mine came with the water proof case which all but eliminates wind but still gives me engine, radio, and louder outside noises

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have thought that in the waterproof case there wouldn't be any wind noise, but mine makes a whistling sound that is unbearable. I've eliminated that problem, I just need to experiment with mike placement to cut down on the tire noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts