Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to finish the stage 1 on my FXDC I don't have the spare coin right now to buy a good tuner like the Powervision, which is what I want. It has some great features.

I added Rush mufflers with 2.0" baffles this past winter and a set of FL-xied's. Now the bike had some decel popping right off the showroom floor which I told the dealership about at the 1k service and they said it was normal. I've read from others saying the same thing about the decel popping on their 2012's as well so I didn't think too much about it. The Xied's didn't fix the decel popping and the Rush mufflers only made it louder but gave the bike the low growl I wanted.

So anyways..I went ahead and bough the SE stage 1 air filter kit this past weekend and installed it today not really expecting any positive changes until I added a tuner. Wrong. The decel popping is gone and the bike runs great. I thought giving the motor more air might make the decel popping worse and not correct it but it did. Why? This I don't understand unless it was actually getting a little too much fuel with the Xied's installed. :think

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
First of all...hurray! Sometimes stuff just works out!

Second of all, I have no idea why. I would have thought it would have made it worse too.

:thumb

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
At any point did you add the Stage I flash upgrade?

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At any point did you add the Stage I flash upgrade?
Negative. The HD dealership will only do the full Dynotune with the SERT and at a cost of about $850.00

·
Registered
751 Posts
Interesting. My bike is almost identical as yours. I have V&H slip ons on mine, and it had a bit of popping on deceleration. Buddy if mine said to add Xie'ds that I haven't done. It's good to hear what things have worked for others. Thank you.

On the dealer download bit...Find another dealer if you can. My local dealer charges $300 (I think) for the flash and dyno tune. I haven't found the need my self unless I made some other upgrades to justify the cost.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
I've got the PCV, had it dyno tuned and it still pops on decel. Runs amazing.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Negative. The HD dealership will only do the full Dynotune with the SERT and at a cost of about $850.00
The download is a possibility at about $150. Of course the dealer is gonna want to sale the sert and dyno tune bit im sure if you ask about the download they would do it. If you have no more mods in mind it may be cheaper then a tuner. I had the arlen ness big sucker, rinehart 4" and stage one download and xieds and i love it now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I'm about to add a SE Heavy Breather and I already have Rush Slip-Ons. My dealer is going to charge $159.95 for the download with no labor charge.

You might want to check with another dealer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm no expert but adding the xieds (richer mixture) and the slip ons (less restrictive with greater expansion) may have increased the amount of unburned fuel in the tail pipes leading to the popping. Adding more air to the engine allows the additional fuel to burn off, decreasing the popping. IMO. As long as its running right now, ride it like you stole it. Enjoy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I you increased the air intake and decreased the exhaust resistance without a Stage I remap or a tuner your engine might be running a bit lean. That might explain the improvement in the deceleration popping. It would not be a bad idea to get the tuner or a remap.

There are some very cool tuners out there, especially if you are going to be adding cams, valve work, etc. If all you are going to do is what you have already done, you can just get a remap, which is not too expensive. Vance and Hines has a tuner that is fairly inexpensive and can handle most upgrades with ease. It is not really tuner that you would want if you are going to put you bike on a dyno and tune it for the last drop of horsepower, but it works great for most riders.

I have a 2009 Dyna with a D&D 2-into-1 Fatcat exhaust, Big Sucker intake and S&W Easy-Start 551 cams. It has the V&H tuner and it runs great. It has plenty of power and still gets around 46+ mpg.

If you are not building a super hotrod bike, you really don't have to dump a pile of money on a tuner or on dyno work.

Just a thought.

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts