Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can be a complete Dumbass. I was riding this afternoon went by a buddies house and stayed awhile to help him put his kids new playset together and left the switch on my bike. Well it was DEAD!! Had to call someone to bring a trailer and load it up to bring it home. Then the wife had to chime in isn't that how most "harley's" ride. I knew I would hear it just didn't expect it from her. My new motto is "No good deed goes unpunished"

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Wow! The worst part of the story is learning that your only team player is wearing the other team's jersey. Nice.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As it would happen, I did the same thing yesterday. Came home with some stuff I bought. Proceeded to unload the stuff and forgot to turn the switch off. Went in the house for a couple of hours, and yep, dead. Jump started it though and was on the road in 3 minutes.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
That's why I never shut her down by the handlebar kill switch.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Normally I have no problem remembering. First time it's happened actually. If I'm away from home I always lock it anyway.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had been somewhere besides buddies house I would have locked it. I used to use the switch to shut the bike off then all I read and herd was to use the kill switch. Well I'm done with that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Everytime I'be muted the stereo on my way to work I have left the switch on. First time left it all day and killed it. Second time I found it at lunch and it still started. Now I leave the radio blasting so I don't forget.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got home today its been on charge all day and it started just fine. I will not use the handle bar switch anymore myself.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The only time I use the kill switch is when I'm in a position where I want/need to keep both hands on the grips for stability reasons. I've been lucky that I've tried to train myself that when I do that the FIRST thing I do when I leave go of the bars is to turn off the ignition switch. So far I've not killed my battery that way.

·
Try'n to behave
5,854 Posts
Yeah, I had a brainfart.gif today. I started my bike in the accessories position and rode about 20 miles with no headlight. Didn't realize it until I got to the dealership and went to shut it off. doh.gif

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
The only time I use that stupid switch is on buddies bikes to see how long it takes them to figure it out. Newbee's are the best.

But seriously, on my Dyna, you had to remove the key. What idiot would leave the key in the ignition, leave their bike in the middle of a parking lot for 2 hours in Laughlin NV and go see the London Bridge and have a few beers? Besides me.
Now I clip the key to my front belt loop and I always know right where it is.
But I have an Electra Glide now and I have to remember to lock the steering or pop the alarm, so still gotta rely on the kanoggin.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Haven't used that bar mounted kill switch in nearly 20 years except for the odd and rare occasion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts