Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, like 98% of the snow is gone. We are in the upper fifties and sunny. Just too damn much salt and sand on the roads. I am soooooo tempted. Just can't do it yet. I hate the thought of all that salt getting into everything. Really wanting to test my new fork springs, amp and speakers, new bars and grips and I just wanna friggin ride..........

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Mike, I'm in the exact same boat...I wanna but I know better. Not just because of all the salt that'll get on the bike, but also cause of the salt and sand on every corner. We could use some rain and / or the street sweeper to come around town.
There is so much salt on the ground in the parking lot at work, that I'm thinking about bringing in a broom and a bucket and loading some up for next winter.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm feelin the same, I have my seat in for some custom work probably a good thing it's not here or I'd really be tempted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sunny and 70 here in St. Louis today, first day I've been able to ride to work. Staying off the backroads though because of all the damn salt and cinders.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Man, like 98% of the snow is gone. We are in the upper fifties and sunny. Just too damn much salt and sand on the roads. I am soooooo tempted. Just can't do it yet. I hate the thought of all that salt getting into everything. Really wanting to test my new fork springs, amp and speakers, new bars and grips and I just wanna friggin ride..........

Hit the mid 50s today in NY. Really nice out just to be outside. Like you mentioned there is too much salt being kicked around to start riding. So close. Can't wait. Just hope that this weather stays consistent. But with dahm global warming you just don't know.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
The dude abides
238 Posts
I went out yesterday for a couple hours and had no sand or salt issues. Pavement was dry and 99% sand free. As an added bonus it was 65 degrees here in Hudson & not a cloud in the sky. It's been a long 5 months, and the grin on my face still remains...

Attachments

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I feel your pain. Way too much salt out there right now, I don't care about it getting on the bike, I just don't like riding on salt covered roads and intersections, like sand on pavement. I've got cams that need a test run.. so I'm really chomping at the bit.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
By design, in a way, this is one of the reasons my bike isn't done and ready to go.....the temptation would be too great. It's been low 40's here, and our roads are a mess from potholes, salt, and car parts. No way am I taking the bike out in this shit.

See you in mid April.....maybe. :)

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.K., here's the deal. I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. All those damn bikes riding by and cruising around town..... that was it. It seems all the neighbors went for a ride tonight. It really didn't seem fair to my bike to have to listen to all that fun. I got it out and went for a ride. Only 10 miles, but I went!!!!!!! Bars and front end felt good so far. Not real impressed with the J&M amp and speakers I got. They are a plug and play kit for the SG. Just seems like a lot of distortion going down the road. In the garage it's great. IT.....FELT.....GREAT!

One issue since doing my bars. It seems now, for whatever reason, the front brake master cylinder keeps leaking around the cover. I have snugged up the screws several times with no help. Hmmm?
Also put my new dash insert on tonight before the ride. It matches my bag latches. Performance Machine.

Obligatory after ride pics.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Hopefully when I get back from Denver next weekend I will be riding to work.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Same here in NY Buckshot. It was near 60° today but too much salt, sand and melting snow on the roads. Like you I hate getting that salt on my bike not to mention possibly sliding on the sand. Unlike you I have resisted the temptation and haven't taken her out of the stable just yet, but Lord willing I'll be back in the saddle next week.

·
Registered
751 Posts
We are finally ALMOST rid of snow here. Lots of snow melt right now, and while many others are out mine is still parked. Between the rain yesterday and the sun today we have a ton of snow melting.

I got home from work today, and my side yard that my dog uses twice a day is finally clear. Three months of land mines in a 20 x 60 foot area. I'm just going to get the wheel barrow. Aint messing with the little scooper.

Worst part for me is that it is supposed to rain some more this weekend. Not Friday or Monday. Just Saturday and Sunday. BASTARDS I say.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We got a good rain yesterday so today most of the road wad sand and salt free but you real have to watch going around corners.

·
Registered
946 Posts
We have hit 45 f here a few times but there is way too much sand on the roads. They don't use salt here but they do put down a lot if sand and pea gravel. That can get really interesting at intersections

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'll keep the rain coming for a few days. Hopefully clean some stuff up. Just need consistent warmer weather.

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
@Buckshot

Maybe you've got your master cylinder cap unevenly tightened, or too tight -- causing the gasket to distort. Try backing off on the screws and tightening them down evenly just enough to compress the rubber.

Glad you got her out. Now's the time to find out about those issues.

--

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
O.K., here's the deal. I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. All those damn bikes riding by and cruising around town..... that was it. It seems all the neighbors went for a ride tonight. It really didn't seem fair to my bike to have to listen to all that fun. I got it out and went for a ride. Only 10 miles, but I went!!!!!!! Bars and front end felt good so far. Not real impressed with the J&M amp and speakers I got. They are a plug and play kit for the SG. Just seems like a lot of distortion going down the road. In the garage it's great. IT.....FELT.....GREAT!

One issue since doing my bars. It seems now, for whatever reason, the front brake master cylinder keeps leaking around the cover. I have snugged up the screws several times with no help. Hmmm?
Also put my new dash insert on tonight before the ride. It matches my bag latches. Performance Machine.

Woo-hoo!!!!! I'm glad you were able to get out and ride!!

Pretty much same story here .. I rode to and from work today, took the corners really slow and dodged the potholes the best I could...

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Buckshot

Maybe you've got your master cylinder cap unevenly tightened, or too tight -- causing the gasket to distort. Try backing off on the screws and tightening them down evenly just enough to compress the rubber.

Glad you got her out. Now's the time to find out about those issues.

--
I'll try that SB. Thing is, I never had it off. Didn't have to bleed anything when I did my bars, OEM hose was long enough.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,476 Posts
Got the temps right to ride here, but the damned rain seems to have taken up residence. Got sand on Hwy 90 by the beach, and then there is that issue of the salt in the moist air, but screw it, I want to ride if this rain will ever go away.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Got the temps right to ride here, but the damned rain seems to have taken up residence. Got sand on Hwy 90 by the beach, and then there is that issue of the salt in the moist air, but screw it, I want to ride if this rain will ever go away.
Darryl, I could not resist the spring-like temps this week. So I went out for about 175 miles Monday -- and got a chance to verify that the rain gear is ready for the Collision.

--

1 - 20 of 23 Posts