Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im 5ft 9'' tall. normal arm length and im finding the leaning foward riding position on my 14 wide glide very uncomfortable. wondering if anyone has fitted the hd street slammer bars and find them better(reduce the reach a little)? im keen on these bars because its a cheap bar swap not needing new cables ect ect

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I don't know about the slammers bars but one cheap thing you can do while you are deciding is to loosen the 4 Allen bolts on the top of your drag bars and rotate them up/down toward you. I gained over an inch moving the bars closer to me. Also, but more expensive is getting a seat with a backrest that can move you forward. This solved my reach problem. Good luck. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Both of the above suggestions are what I would do first.

When I was shopping for my bike I liked the look of the softail deluxe best, but found the Heritage to be instantly more comfortable for me. It has the mini ape/pullbacks and position the hand controls perfectly for me.

Try sitting on a few at the dealer and then you will get an idea of what is most comfortable for you. Chasing this down one mod at a time can become most frustrating.

Also, you may solve the problem with a couple of visits to a chiropractor

·
Asylum Inmate
12,761 Posts
Go apes. And Advil will not be required.

·
rubber side down
310 Posts
If you like the feel of the bars you now have, risers with bar back additions (what I used on my FXDC) may help a lot. See if your dealer has a reduced reach seat that you can try out for a brief ride too. May relieve the arm stretch, and place more bend into the knees, for better support. It's getting the ergos right that counts.

My bar back risers were from Revco, and are 4 1/2" X 1 1/2", and made riding both with and without a windshield better. Riding without the shield now, and loving it. tomp dd50

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Hey Jack; slightly off topic, but I couldn't resist.

IF YOU HAD A DOG, IT COULD ONLY BE ONE BREED :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys need some help- just bought an 2014 RK it had 18 inch apes- part of the deal was installing other bars- I like the old apes but just a little too high - the new ones I got are 10 inch with the "Mizer" cut (not regular pullbacks) very little pullback-- I'm 5" 5" and bars look great and getting me more confident with the bike - got my feet closer to the ground- guess cause I'm not stretching as much as on the 18's.. Heres my ??? With my existing bars- are there some pullback risers I could get -- maybe up a 2-3 inches & pullback as much as possible I'm leaning into the bars- makes for a hard road trip-- got internal wiring so trying to do a work around that would b cheaper than buying new bars & 5-6 hours labor cost!! Any suggestions??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts