Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a 2012 ultra and I get sore ears from the wind buffeting around my head, does anyone have a solutions. Better Windshield?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,161 Posts
A taller windshield might help you might not look cool with a taller one but you'll be able to ride and enjoy it .
What type of helmet you wearing not a half helmet is it . Some of the guys I ride with went back to a half helmet because of this problem . Earplugs Help for some . they get them at work or a can full of them at Lowes or Home depot. Most Hardware stores carry them too

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,804 Posts
Every exposure to sound level sufficiently loud to "hurt" your ears

has done permanent damage to your hearing. I will not shoot guns

without good earplugs and I will not ride motorcycles without good earplugs

for the same reason. I keep several pairs in every riding jacket because if I lose one earplug,

it is very hard for me to tolerate the noise on my ride home. Not only is it sad and stupid

to ruin your hearing, the noise level is distracting and exhausting; you are not at your best

and paying attention to the important business of riding safely. Wind noise alone,

traffic noise alone, exhaust pipes alone, your own or somebody else's, are each damaging,

combined they are much more so, these are permanent and cumulative injuries.

Smarten up, when you say "It hurts when I do this," that's a sign you should stop doing it.

Google "torment of tinnitus." People have committed suicide to escape the ringing in their ears,

A forum mate here told of requesting to be surgically deafened,

and was told that would make it even worse.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Helmet, windshield, adjustable air deflectors, will all help with knocking some of the noise down.

Or earplugs. On a bike with no fairing, I wouldn't ride without earplugs, or music earbuds in my ears, the noise is deafening for sure.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Another vote for earplugs. I make my living using my ears / critical listening skills so take this very seriously. I won't ride without plugs or earbuds. And as Nathang said, tinnitus is nothing to mess around with. There's no cure to that constant ringing in your ears. It never goes away.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
I shave my head, so I wear a bandana on my head to keep my helmet for slipping around. When I'm going to be riding fast or far I tie it low so it covers my ears. Not as good as ear plugs but it helps a little.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the clearview tall windshield on my 07. It is great during the day and clear weather. However, after being behind this fairing for 2 years. Here are my issues. During rain you cannot see through the windshield and you have to either look over the top or each side of the windscreen to see in front of you. Also at night the bugs and small scratches on the plexiglass that dont bother you during the day, manifest themselves at night.

I am about to go to a smaller windscreen due to this issue.

All that said. Harley has a wind splitter wind screen that is supposed to cut down on buffeting which is what I think you are reffering to as sore ears. Reading your post it sound like your not wearing a helmet.

Hey I am guilty of not wearing one either except when on long road trips. A helmet and a new windscreen I think would help out.

My 2 pennies worth

Glenn

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use these, you can find them on Amazon for about $10 or so. You custom mold them to your ears. Don't be put off by the colors, they don't come out as bright as they look. My blue set is very pale and pastel, I was hoping they would be much darker. I don't have the lanyards in mine, I was concerned that getting a helmet on and off would cause problems. If you wear a half helmet would not be a concern.

And welcome to the horde!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I am riding a 2012 ultra and I get sore ears from the wind buffeting around my head, does anyone have a solutions. Better Windshield?
Clothespin your ears around the back of your head...

Sorry, I'm just picturing you with golden retriever ears. First time I've heard of this complaint and had nothing worthwhile to add.

It may be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You definitely want to use ear plugs or ear buds. I wear a half helmet all the time so it is a must. I have a detachable windshield for my wide glide and only use it for longer rides, it does help, but still need the ear plugs.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Earplugs. Anytime I am going more than 25 or so miles, or if I know I will be on the Interstate/Tollway. Around town, not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts