Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few of these cigarette pack sized emergency blankets.
If you were ever with somebody who crashed bad, they could die of shock while waiting for an ambulance.
This super thin mylar sheet feels warm instantly when you wrap it around you,
demonstrating how much of your body heat is escaping from radiant heat.

A buddy on another forum just came back from a motorcycle retreat with camping,
he said he nearly froze to death. This $2 blanket inside a sleeping bag would add dramatically
to the insulation value of the sleeping bag.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=40357

Attachments

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Just watched an issue of "Survivor Man" on the Discovery Channel where he spends a week in Labrador alone in the woods. He has an emergency pack with him and it includes a space blanket.

Came across a bike accident three years ago, arriving 15 minutes before paramedics could make it to the remote location. The rider going wide on a lefthander, injured seriously, became cold quickly. Fortunately a motorist had a blanket in their car as we waited for the paramedics. Never thought about putting a space blanket inside a sleeping bag.

·
Steve
262 Posts
I'm an ex marathon runner and have been given a few space blankets after finishing a couple of runs in colder weather. Its amazing how warm they can keep you. I still have them stashed in a closet somewhere. They take up very little room so will throw a couple in the saddle bag. Thanks for the tip.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
That is a good idea - thanks.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were ever to be caught on a really cold ride, these space blankets are so cheap you could afford to cut one up for insulation, make a crude vest like a crossing guard would wear, over the head and wraps around both sides from both front and rear, under your jacket, and long sheets down the front of both legs and sleeves.

If you had to try to warn oncoming traffic in the dark to the presence of an accident in the road, one of these would make a really big bright reflector to wave. Better than a flashlight and easier to carry.

Or if you had to leave your broken down bike parked on the side of the road somewhere where you worried about it having enough visibility to avoid being hit, it'd be a good wrapper for increased conspicuity.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
And if you need to bake a potato your all set. It makes great sense on a bike due to it's compact size. Nathan those are some uses I hadnt thought of thanks. Now lets see how long it takes me to actually store one on the bike.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
And if you need to bake a potato your all set. It makes great sense on a bike due to it's compact size. Nathan those are some uses I hadnt thought of thanks. Now lets see how long it takes me to actually store one on the bike.
Hey, you did good getting the seasoning! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts