Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 883 XLH Sportster Hugger. When I got this a month ago the pugs where a dry black. I rebuilt the carb as the bowl was leaking and it would hesitate when giving it throttle due to a bad accelerator diaphragm. I tried adjusting the slow jet as I thought it might be too rich. It showed little response until almost fully closed. I figured I might have to re jet it. I have been using the great carbon cleaner Sea Foam since I have gotten it legally on the road. I put 125 miles on it and just pulled the plugs. One is a ting coffee colored and the other is now white. Think I need to open the Mixture screw a bit as it looks to be running a tad lean? It does pop a tinge when cold started. Input welcome:feedback:

Attachments

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
You may just need to put a few hundred more miles to finish the clean out.

·
Registered
41,392 Posts
Open the idle mixture screw 2 turns from seated.

Run it that way then see how your plugs look.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
You should also start with a new properly gapped set...

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Link is right. Easier to read a new set from now than to try to read a set after you make changes in the set up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you try to jet off used plugs your chasing your tail. If you cant see a change in idle till the mixture screw is closed you do need to step down a jet size on your pilot jet though.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These plugs are new just put em in 3 weeks ago. My needle setting is 2 1/4 turns out. The setting when I got it was 3 turns out. I bought the XS4164 instead of the 4164 type. Sorry I wasn't more specific in stating this Thank you for the input

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your right a bit more running time with the sea foam. and a tweak of the Mixture screw. They should be coffee colored correct? I hear with the ethanol gas this is not so

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that info. It was pretty gummed up in the carb I did clean it fairly well. I purchased a new stock jet as I have the original Harley carb and I hear they are crap. It runs strong and idles good though. Some slight low tick when under power. May need some rocker adjustment or a worn lifter. I have not installed the jet yet. as I stated it has been sitting a long time before I bought it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts