Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, new to Harley and my 05 883 converted to 1200. I'm just going threw it and changing the fluids etc etc and tonight I did the plugs. Book calls for HD 6R12 so that is what I put in but what I pulled out was 6R12G. Is that a hotter plug or?
I took the bike out for a few runs with the older plugs, couple hundred km's and I noticed the plugs (firing tips) that I pulled out are almost a orange color, whats with that? If needed I wil upload a pic of the plugs. The plugs and the engine shouldn't be running hot because its still very cool here and the runs were in temps under 60 F

Many thanks for the help. : )

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
H-D Standard plug is a 6R12
H-D Gold plug is 6R12G
H-D Platinum plug is 6R12PP

These are used for 883/1200 and Twin Cam
88" / 96"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks, so the platinum I would think should be the best plug but what makes it so?
Dam, I ended up down grading plugs which sucks, I wish the guy at Harley would have clued me in but than again I guess I could have asked first.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
The electrode in the Platinums are made of a harder metal than standard plugs, Iridium is harder yet than the Platinums.

Basically the harder the metal the electrode is made of, the longer they will last before you need to replace them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The electrode in the Platinums are made of a harder metal than standard plugs, Iridium is harder yet than the Platinums.

Basically the harder the metal the electrode is made of, the longer they will last before you need to replace them.

Thanks for the great info, if its just a lasting issue than I will just leave the basic plugs in as I change my plugs every year anyway so long lasting is not a issue for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts