Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
FLASH
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 01 Road Glide Fuel Injected is idling low right now. It ranges from 5-10 on the tach but usually around 7-8. Is this correct for a tach range? I changed my spark plugs two days ago. They were gapped right. Could there be something wrong with the plugs? Could this be the cause of the low idle?

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
plug problem

Spark plugs should not cause this. they are stock plugs, correct ? I've found the stock HD plugs work the best for me. Pull the new ones, put the old ones back in see how she runs...If it picks up, then there is a defective plug, The Harley fuel injection has a non adjustable idle system unlike a carbed model....500 rpms sounds a little low...

·
FLASH
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a way to fix the idle then?????

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Like Blackdog said, pop the old plugs back in.

Did you make sure of a good sparkplug wire connection?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
is there a way to fix the idle then?????
The idle is adjusted VS the ECM. If you have an EFI enhancer, some, like V&H, are adjustable or allow it as an option.

Is this an issue that just happened right AFTER you did nothing but changed plugs???

Did you change the plug wires around??

Did you do anything else??

Just changing plugs won't change an idle speed............

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Unless ya got a bad new plug.It does happen.

·
FLASH
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was after i put the plugs in. I only changed the oil, filter, transmission oil and primary oil. So there is no adjustment behind the air cleaner? Looks like from what everyone is saying i need to check the old plugs

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Unless ya got a bad new plug.It does happen.
Ya know....I gotta agree with Marty here. Too mysterious.....

Put the old plugs back in.

500 rpms is about what ONE cylinder would idle at.....

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
Check your spark plug wires, the stock 6.5 mm HD plug wires are crap....that is the first thing I look at if a scoot staarts running funny...there are some really good aftermarket ones, they aren't cheap though...I'm running 10.2 mm, cost around $50 but I've never had a problem since I put em on... I'd say try anothe set of stock plugs ,(they're cheap)....and they usually work fine for 10K miles...then get a buddy to loan you a set for a few minutes off a good running scoot...fire it up and see how she runs...If it runs ok, then slap a new set of wires on and ride hard...keepin' the sunny side up at all times...

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
a freak bad plug or bad injector, wiring to the injector could be loose or become seperated inside the insulation. Yea you coulda broke the plug wire when you pulled it loose to change plugs or you mighta didnt seat it good.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
Yup

Yup, plug wires damage pretty easy especially after being around heat, if they are carbon core, it doesn't take much to wipe them out....a bad connection make even more heat and can burn the core inside the wire....:nod

·
FLASH
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks to everyone for the good ideas...looks like i need to get out there and check some of this stuff out.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
AAAND the verdict is???:eek::lol8

·
FLASH
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nope spark plugs are fine. cables are fine.....who knows

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well did you check your coils? O2 sensor? Because I'm not sure if you've added a fuel pack on it or what you've done to it. But I've known some guys to have the works done to their road glide fuel pack, breather, pipes etc. Maybe you should hook up a comp to the bike and have it shoot codes back at you because to me I think you'll get something back from the O2 sensor, coils and it saying that 1 of the cylinders aren't firing. Try that out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts