Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due for my 5K service on my 14 Road King. I am going to due a full fluid change and was thinking on changing the spark plugs-not sure if i need to or not but since is doing oil,trans etc. My question is there any advantage if i do change them to go with the S.E. plugs and wires or just stay with stock ones

2014 Road King
S.E. stage one kit
S.E. street cannons
Head pipe done
103 W/255 cams

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I had my 10k done about a month ago at the HD dealership where I bought it. They changed the plugs then. I believe the manual says 25k. I asked why. Their response was that, in their experience, the plugs tend to corrode to the head if they wait that long. Makes sense. Then I asked them why that would be since during the 1k and 5k they pull them to inspect. The response was it didn't matter. It was only $7, but, if they get that from everyone it is sure to add up.

I guess after all that, if your not having trouble I say no need. I also say no need to go more expensive unless you need the SEs because of motor mods.

·
Registered
39,446 Posts
Their response was that, in their experience, the plugs tend to corrode to the head if they wait that long.
That's what anti seize compound is for.
Which, if they were following the service manual, they should have used.... :what?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering if the S.E. plugs and wires were better than stock or not

·
Registered
39,446 Posts
I was just wondering if the S.E. plugs and wires were better than stock or not
They're better in that you get more mileage out of them before they need to be replaced.

If you're asking will they increase horsepower? No.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
They're better in that you get more mileage out of them before they need to be replaced.

If you're asking will they increase horsepower? No.
Last I knew Champion made plugs for HD.
SE plugs too?

No clue who makes their wires.

·
Registered
39,446 Posts
Last I knew Champion made plugs for HD.
SE plugs too?

No clue who makes their wires.
No idea on the SE plugs, but yeah Champion makes the standard HD plugs.

I would imagine they would use the same manufacturer across the board....

I use Denso Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
39,446 Posts
Don't know who makes HD plug wires.

But Sumax/Taylor plug wires are about the best you can get, made right here in KC.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Don't know who makes HD plug wires.
Was not going to go HD. Mostly over priced because it`s branded.

But Sumax/Taylor plug wires are about the best you can get, made right here in KC.
Sumax was already on my list of top considerations.
Thanks Kainam.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Don't buy Nology Plug wires. I put them on my Dyna about 12 years ago. Supposedly they added 10 horse or so. BULLSHYT! $80 for BS.
Sold the bike but kept the wires, now I can't find anyone that even wants them for free.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
How can a plug wire add horsepower? LOL!

·
Registered
39,446 Posts
Only if it is attached to a horse? :dunno

1 - 20 of 53 Posts