Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I need some advice on what yall may think the problem is. Here is the scenario. I just installed a set of Shark speakers on my Road King. The kind that mount where the mirrors are. I mounted the small 100W amp to the frame in the front just under the front forks. Now, it will play music using an aux cord or an SD card plugged into the amp and does so quite nicely when the bike is NOT running. BUT! If you run the bike the music will sporadically cut out. Ive wiggled, jiggled and moved all the wires while music was playing and the bike was off and it never cuts out. But as soon as you fire it up itll play for a while then just start cutting out randomly. Any ideas on what it might be and potential tests to figure this out would be greatly appreciated. One final thought....does anyone think it could be electrical interference from the motor/ignition causing issues with the amplifier? Thanks guys!

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you may have a loose connection and when the bike is fired up it vibrates it causing your problem. I would start checking all the connections especially the grounds. And ya may want to go over to the new members section and introduce yourself. You will find everyone to be a lot more helpful. Once again welcome and hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Should not be an in interference problem - not much EM generated in the engine. Dif you solder, crimp, or use s plug for your connections? Like Baggerboy said, sounds like a loose connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were all plug connections. Ive checked all of them, while the bike was off I moved the connectors so simulate the vibration of the bike and can never get it to reproduce what happens while the bike is running

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, Ill take a look when I get home today. The amp is directly wired to the battery. Red wire/black wire......i suppose its possible while running it is making contact with something under the seat.

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
If they are all plug-in connectors then they are male and female pins. Will be a little time consuming but check each individual wire where it enters the plug.
Try pushing in first to be sure both pins are seated. Then give each one a fairy hard tug.
They should not come out of course.
Could be a loose crimp or a mangled or unseated pin.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If both speakers are cutting in and out together, is has to be a power issue. That would be ground or the main 12V+ feeding the amp.

There are a couple of other issues I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Internals. If there is a loose transistor or other element inside the unit, it could be affected by the vibration.

2. Power. If the power supply in that amp is unregulated (which it almost certainly is) it is making more power with the 14.4 volts on it with the motor running verses the 12.3-12.6 with the motor off. More voltage means ultimately more wattage which means more heat. It could be kicking in and out of protection mode from overheating.

Also, you probably playing it a lot louder when riding that when stopped with the motor off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Overpowering is something I read about and think is the issue. Is there something I can wire in to regulate that? I really dont think its a ground issue or loose connection. If it was grounding on something I think I would see the power to the amp cutting off etc and im not seeing that. It just cuts out, both speakers. And yes, its at high volume.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Overpowering is something I read about and think is the issue. Is there something I can wire in to regulate that? I really dont think its a ground issue or loose connection. If it was grounding on something I think I would see the power to the amp cutting off etc and im not seeing that. It just cuts out, both speakers. And yes, its at high volume.

Regulating the voltage isn't going to help. You're still going to want to push it as loud as you want/need to push it to hear it. You are probably just pushing it too hard.

That "100 watt" system is probably peak rated and has really more like a true 20-25 watt RMS output. (per side) Peak is what it will do for an instant without frying. RMS is it's steady, on-going capability.

If you don't want it to cut in and out, don't turn it up as loud. If you can't get it as loud as you want/need to use it effectively without cutting in and out, you're pretty much out of luck.

One thing you can do is make sure the volume output on your ipod/mp3 player is as loud as you can possibly get it without it distorting the input. The more inpuy signal you have, the easier it is on the amp.

I run a true 75W x 2 RMS rating hogtunes amp on drivers with three times the surface area and I still push it fairly high when I am on the highway. It takes more juice than you think to hear them in an open environment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact problem on my 2019 FLHXS. I added aftermarket amps ( duals through Hogtunes) and I added dual 6 x 9 fosgates in each bag. As I'm rig=ding up her in Aroostook county Maine, ( the roads are wicked) anyway kept interfering between my two fronts and intermittantly going out . I had my fairing off about 5 times on this one and it Drove me nuts. So I added dieletric grease to all the connections, added zip ties holding all the connection tightly together , then I zip tied all the hanging wires securely. Result: Problem 100 percent solved. It can only be a handful of things and I narrowed it down to power connections and connections from the speakers to the amps. Then I secured every single one with zip ties and it solved it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts