1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I had a Sting Ray with a 2 speed axle. Loved that bike.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
Tugging at the heartstrings of my youth, love that bike.
bought last one after I was driving cars and motorcycles just to fix it up i was red and bought a slick and matching front tire with white lettering and it was bad azz

wal-mart brought out some few years back and they ain't the same

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
The yellow CCM was my first given to me (handmedown) from my Cousin.
The second I got brand new for my birthday. It was heavier than Aunt Linda, but I frickin loved it !

Attachments

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
I had a Schwinn Corvette which was produced from 1954 to 1963. Slightly before your models.

Loved it. 5 speed. Had it until I bought the Vespa in 1966. Mine was the blue one.
All the bikes have been red.

I still remember going to pick it out. Very similar feeling to going to pick out a new Harley.

I waxed it with Pledge and kept saying "Waxed Beauty Instantly" over and over and over and still can't get that mantra out of my head. (I use Maguire's now)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...A%2F%2Fwww.nostalgic.net%2Fbicycle294;640;480

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
yes, this is cool stuff from the memory banks

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
My dad shocked my brother and I with Schwinn Sting-Rays one Christmas morning. His was blue with "mini" apes, because he was younger, and mine was green with full size apes, sparkling silver banana seat and a meaty slick rear tire. Man, I loved that thing. Who knew Dad could be so cool?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I had a green sting ray.I think it weighed about as much as my current Electra Glide. I knew even when I was a little kid that I wanted something with a motor though.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If I could score a mint Schwinn Phantom, I might just enjoy owning it almost as much as my Road King.

--

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
If I could score a mint Schwinn Phantom, I might just enjoy owning it almost as much as my Road King.

--
You would enjoy th Phantom for the first mile. After a 500 mile day you will be wanting your Road King back.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
You would enjoy th Phantom for the first mile. After a 500 mile day you will be wanting your Road King back.
Didn't say anything about riding it :D. I'm a Townie 21 guy now. I'm old.

--

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
The yellow CCM was my first given to me (handmedown) from my Cousin.
The second I got brand new for my birthday. It was heavier than Aunt Linda, but I frickin loved it !
I don't know for sure but ccm looks like the Raleigh Chopper I had, maybe they are the same ???

I delivered some car parts to this guy that lived in the country years ago and he had all kinds of bicycles hanging from the rafters in the barn , one was one of the krate bikes think it was yellow, I tried to find the place few years ago and I would have paid him some decent money for it, probably not as much as they go for now but close!

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also had this Mattel "Stallion". That little motor looking thing is a "VROOM", made noises like a shifting motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My fat tire candy metallic green Schwinn had four cards (2-front & 2-rear) connected with wooden cloths-pins in 1953 . Sounded almost as good as a Harley ! Put a lota miles & memories on that ole bike before it got stolen .

·
Registered
147 Posts
thanks for the article, I got the fastback 5speed model with gear shift on top tube for xmas I was 7. one day came out the house and the bike was gone - stolen. my mom told me later I didn't speek for a week. about 3 months later playing in my front yard a kid I had never seen before road by on my bike - I screamed and chased after him for what seemed like a mile - he dropped the bike in his yard and ran into his house I followed. suddenly I was in the front room surrounded by a family with mom/dad 4 or 5 kids it was quiet - I said that is my bike and I want it back!!!! the room erupted with shouting mom said I bought that bike at the swap meet, older kid standing over me said you are not taking my brothers bike - I was not scared- when you are right you stand your ground - the dad said give the boy his bike and let him go. when I picked up my bike I noticed the STP stickers I had put under the bannana seat my dad gave me from the auto parts store. yes this brings back memories thanks

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
very cool story Rayz

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Did anyone have the Sting Ray version with the steering wheel instead of handlebars? My cousin had one like that. It was really weird trying to ride that thing. I never did get the hang of it; much happier with my apes.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
It's such a terrible feeling of violation when something is stolen like that.

Glad you got it back, it took guts. I'm glad the father was honest. He obviously saw that you were sincere.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,756 Posts
My Schwinn pea picker was stolen and about seven month later cops called they had just found it the day before, unfortunately who ever had it did some damage to it and the small front wheel was gone and I traded to the local Schwinn shop on a stingray ...Some day I may get another one of the krate bikes from that era

I have found some but was out bid, last time $750 was as high as I could go..it went for $1,250 and it was a orange krate :) that was about ten years ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts