Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything on my bike works fine until I really lean into a turn and accelerate really hard. At that point, my speedometer needle drops to zero, although the speedometer light and other indicators continue to function correctly. Additionally, once this happens, the bike will not maintain idle after I stop at an intersection unless I'm manually jacking with the throttle to keep it running. Until yesterday, all I had to do was kill the ignition switch, then turn it back on and restart the bike and everything would work fine again. Yesterday I tried this and the problem didn't reset until I got the bike home and let it sit for a minute.

Any ideas what might affect the speedometer needle, while also affecting the bike's ability to hold rpm without dying at idle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 2000 sportster. My issue was that my positive line to my battery was loose and the screw broke in half in the battery causing my bike to blast full rpm at a slow speed and bucking like my bike wanted to kill itself needle dropped and spazzed randomly and milage led light was gone. Check positive and negative cords connecting to the battery and make sure you can twist or move them if they move make sure there nice and tight and check for broken screws. When bike is started the battery shouldn't move violently make sure the holder is nice and tight. Vibrations of the bike can cause loose parts so maintain wires and screws every now and then

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Sporty. I tightened my batter terminal screws just in case (the positive wire was just barely loose). I took it for a test spin and the speedo needle crapped out again for about a minute, but there were no additional side effects like before. I think it helped, but I'll still need to maybe check my speedo cable and some other areas for the source of the problem. All of the connections under the tank instrument panel look mint, so it has to be something else. So the search begins....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts