Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if i can get speed bleeders for my bikes. one is a 14 other is a 17 both limiteds. with brembo calipers i think.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
Looks like the front and rear brakes use 1 ea Speed Bleeder PN SB8125L

The clutch on the 17 also uses that same part. The clutch on the 14 uses one that is different, still researching that one.

These come 2 in a box:

Rubber caps

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks like the front and rear brakes use 1 ea Speed Bleeder PN SB8125L

The clutch on the 17 also uses that same part. The clutch on the 14 uses one that is different, still researching that one.

These come 2 in a box:

Rubber caps

man, you are good brian. i looked off and on yesterday afternoon and all evening. never could find what size the brembo calipers used. thanks! i'm curious though that bleeder on dennis kirk shows it does not fit the 14 and later bikes? correction it says not specificly desighned to fit. got some ordered. thanks

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
553 Posts
I was thinking about putting them on my bike. Love to know how they work out. I saw a video but was trying to figure out if one part thats loctited loosens and the other part is fixed? Or a separate part of speed bleeder loosens.

·
weird member
3,222 Posts
I was thinking about putting them on my bike. Love to know how they work out. I saw a video but was trying to figure out if one part thats loctited loosens and the other part is fixed? Or a separate part of speed bleeder loosens.
No loctite, one piece. It's just like a normal bleeder valve, only it has a spring and check ball inside making it a one-way flow.

Once installed, tighten down to spec and done. When you need to bleed brakes, you crack them open 1/4 turn or so and then just pump the brakes (no need to close, re-pressurize, re-open, etc... just leave them open and pump the brake lever). Tighten back to spec when you're done.

·
Registered
553 Posts
No loctite, one piece. It's just like a normal bleeder valve, only it has a spring and check ball inside making it a one-way flow.

Once installed, tighten down to spec and done. When you need to bleed brakes, you crack them open 1/4 turn or so and then just pump the brakes (no need to close, re-pressurize, re-open, etc... just leave them open and pump the brake lever).
Thank you for explanation. Seems like a good idea. Saw some on Kirk JP, wanted to understand function. You explained it better than a video I saw, appreciate that.

·
weird member
3,222 Posts
To be honest, they're so easy and great, I don't understand why they aren't standard for motorcycles. It's infinitely easier than a bleeder pump, reverse bleeding, or any other way you want to do it.

Just make sure you get the speed bleeder bags too. The hose makes a perfect seal on mine, no need to put grease or zip ties on the end of the hose to make sure air doesn't come in.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
anyone know if i can get speed bleeders for my bikes. one is a 14 other is a 17 both limiteds. with brembo calipers i think.
Tommy, I had the same issue trying to find the right bleeders for my 14 FLHXS so I emailed Speed Bleeders themselves and this is what they had to say.......

Handwriting Font Parallel Paper Paper product

I installed them on my 03 FLHRCI recently when I rebuilt the front/rear calipers and they worked sooooo much better then OEM! I thought that the compound on the bleeders might have been loctite too, but figured it must just be some sort of sealant that allows the bleeder to be backed out and tightened a few times over their life span without leaking.

Line Household hardware Auto part Tool Automotive ignition part

I'll get them installed on the 14 FLHXS next........

·
Registered
553 Posts
To be honest, they're so easy and great, I don't understand why they aren't standard for motorcycles. It's infinitely easier than a bleeder pump, reverse bleeding, or any other way you want to do it.

Just make sure you get the speed bleeder bags too. The hose makes a perfect seal on mine, no need to put grease or zip ties on the end of the hose to make sure air doesn't come in.
Will do that
Tommy, I had the same issue trying to find the right bleeders for my 14 FLHXS so I emailed Speed Bleeders themselves and this is what they had to say.......

View attachment 800419

I installed them on my 03 FLHRCI recently when I rebuilt the front/rear calipers and they worked sooooo much better then OEM! I thought that the compound on the bleeders might have been loctite too, but figured it must just be some sort of sealant that allows the bleeder to be backed out and tightened a few times over their life span without leaking.

View attachment 800420

That was my only concern was how many times can you open and close. Appears to be a nice system.

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
man, you are good brian. i looked off and on yesterday afternoon and all evening. never could find what size the brembo calipers used. thanks! i'm curious though that bleeder on dennis kirk shows it does not fit the 14 and later bikes? correction it says not specificly desighned to fit. got some ordered. thanks

View attachment 800419

View attachment 800420

thanks a bunch moto jockey

installed them on my 03 FLHRCI recently when I rebuilt the front/rear calipers and they worked sooooo much better then OEM! I thought that the compound on the bleeders might have been loctite too, but figured it must just be some sort of sealant that allows the bleeder to be backed out and tightened a few times over their life span without leaking.

thanks a bunch motojockey. brian found out for me that the 8mm x 1.25 thd bleeders fit the calipers on both my 14 and 17 and clutch bleeder on the 17 as well. the 14 clutch bleeder is different so far neither of us could find out what thread the bleeder for it was. as per your email from speed bleeder products now we know it is 1/4 x 28 thd(i actually have those). i have a vacuum bleeder and do my own fluid changes every two years then take em in to dlr to have them put on the digitech to flash the abs module getting the old fluid out of it. that only costs 40 bucks and takes about 15 minutes. now it will be a much easier one man process not having to close bleeder every time i check level in master cylinder. now i can pump vacuum bleeder with my left hand and fill the resevoir with my right! easy peasy! a really big deal for me! thank you mr. brian and mr. motojockey! i will have appropriate speed bleeders on hand for this winters brake and clutch fluid changes. :p

·
Registered
42,905 Posts

I really wish they would update their fitment listing. I havent seen them update it since 2008.

Kinda hard to see which ones to order without doing part number gymnastics at Ronnie's.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I concur sir.......

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
thanks a bunch moto jockey
thanks a bunch motojockey. brian found out for me that the 8mm x 1.25 thd bleeders fit the calipers on both my 14 and 17 and clutch bleeder on the 17 as well. the 14 clutch bleeder is different so far neither of us could find out what thread the bleeder for it was. as per your email from speed bleeder products now we know it is 1/4 x 28 thd(i actually have those). i have a vacuum bleeder and do my own fluid changes every two years then take em in to dlr to have them put on the digitech to flash the abs module getting the old fluid out of it. that only costs 40 bucks and takes about 15 minutes. now it will be a much easier one man process not having to close bleeder every time i check level in master cylinder. now i can pump vacuum bleeder with my left hand and fill the resevoir with my right! easy peasy! a really big deal for me! thank you mr. brian and mr. motojockey! i will have appropriate speed bleeders on hand for this winters brake and clutch fluid changes. :p
Quite welcome sir! ;)

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
Before I go buying speed bleeders for my bike, I want to check out one of those vacuum bleeders.

I've had one of those Mity Vac's on my wish list at Amazon forever. I think its been on the list the longest.

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before I go buying speed bleeders for my bike, I want to check out one of those vacuum bleeders.

I've had one of those Mity Vac's on my wish list at Amazon forever. I think its been on the list the longest.
if i had to do it the old push pedal and tighten method, i'd have harley dlr do it. :)

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quite welcome sir! ;)
the reason i call this forum home is because of the fact everyone is not only willing to share information but will offer it up without being asked when they realize it will help out another member. this forum is about motorsickles and those who ride em and wrench on them. even pros on here like schmidty who are quick to help. it's not a facebook, hey look at what i had my dealer do, site where it's members don't know a johnson rod from a muffler bearing.:)

·
Indian Larry
9,368 Posts
Quick question,
If the bleeders work with a check valve, why do you need the bleeder bag? Why not just run a hose away from the front end and let it drain into a old oil jug or something??
The check should not allow air in the system.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quick question,
If the bleeders work with a check valve, why do you need the bleeder bag? Why not just run a hose away from the front end and let it drain into a old oil jug or something??
The check should not allow air in the system.
I was wondering that as well, I don't like the sealant that you will be opening and closing. Rather it be 2 piece system. As it needs to be done a few times. Maybe it works well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts