Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2004 Sportster 883. It is not picking up the speed. The odometer picks up the mileage as i drive but i don't know how fast i am going. I have ohms checked the wires and i am not finding any problems there. I thought i had fixed the problems when i removed the TSM, ICM and Speedometer and put them all back together. it was picking up the speed then on the day i was going to get it inspected it stopped working. I have pulled out the speed sensor and it was clean, no metal shavings. Also i am not getting any DTC codes. When i do the Diag on the speedometer the needle does not sweep like it should. right now its stuck at 30 mph. The nearest dealership is 30 min away and with it not working i don't really want to drive it there and possible get caught speeding. It has been sitting for the past 4 years while i was stationed in Italy. The Air Force didn't let me know what i needed so i could ship it until it was to late. Thanks in advance for any advice that might help me solve this.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Speedometer is faulty, replacement is the fix.

Odometer needs to be programmed by the MoCo, dealer should have details on the process.

Gonna have to find someone to drive a pace car for ya.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Also, I wouldn't worry too much on speeding. Should have a pretty good idea how fast you are going by the gear you are in, and have many rpm's it's turning. Or by the sound of things if you follow me.

Wearing a full face helmet I can't even see the speedo on my fxdc unless I look down at it.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Surely you can ride 30 miles, estimating your speed,(keep it slow), you need a new speedometer and it has to be programed by a dealer. Be careful.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ride the bitch like you stole it. You can easily beat the police to the dealership.

Just kiddin. I am also sure that you can determine speed by gear selection and engine sound. You got this. If not do like I do when I get pulled over, a little wink a nip slip, oh dont forget the most important lick your lips that usually gets you by. If that fails start crying and talking about the dead people you see:laugh

Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I rode my bike for a couple months with the speedo not working. Took it to a dealer and found a wire under the tank got mangled, they fixed the wire and now it's good to go. If you are worried about speeding, don't go faster than other cars (that seems logical to me). Besides if you are alone on the hwy and get pulled over show the cop the speedo tell him you are on the way to the dlr to have it worked on. it may just be a wire issue, you may have to get a new speedo, but the dealer will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I rode my bike for a couple months with the speedo not working. Took it to a dealer and found a wire under the tank got mangled, they fixed the wire and now it's good to go. If you are worried about speeding, don't go faster than other cars (that seems logical to me). Besides if you are alone on the hwy and get pulled over show the cop the speedo tell him you are on the way to the dlr to have it worked on. it may just be a wire issue, you may have to get a new speedo, but the dealer will be able to help you out.
Did your odometer continue to work when the wire was broken?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
no mine originally gave me a code for a short from the speed sensor. replaced the sensor, still didn't work. Found the wire got mangled under the tank. I know my issue was not the same problem but it may be a possibility that is the problem. (I'm trying to give the guy hope so he doesn't have to drop several hundred on a new speedo LOL). Dlr only charged $45 to fix it.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
His odometer is still working though, which leads me to believe that the speedometer is the faulty item.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm not disputing it could be a bad speedo, sound bad to me as well, but sometimes in rare ocassions, when all the stars align; it something small like a wire.

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
One and done? I hope he mustered the confidence to ride without a speedometer. :eek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well until i get the money to take it to the dealership i have come up with a work around. getting a bracket to put my gps on it. I haven't ridden in 4 years so i have to learn the motor and gear stuff again to tell how fast i am going. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
An easier way is to buy a cheap bicycle computer and install it on the motorcycle. They can be had for $10.00 or so. Are programmable for wheel size and easy to install and you don't have to worry about rain or being stolen.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
A buddy of mines 95 is working on an off, his odometer still works. Y'all think it's the speed sensor or a bad speedo?

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I'm thinking it is the speedometer.

A '95 the mileage is stored in the speedometer (vs the ECM of newer bikes), so if the odometer works, the speedometer should as well.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Odometer is digital and speedo is an electrically triggered "motor". It may be the speedo failing but the speedo is more sensitive than the odometer. Check harness plug for tightness and clean terminals. Check speedo sensor for laughs. Its on top of trans on the right side. I believe near where neg battery terminal is mounted. Make sure wire isnt damaged or grounding as well.....

Inside the speedo is a connector too. Then there's the one in headlight I think.

Sometimes on older bikes they lose the ground to the gauges which goes from the top tree to the bolt that goes through the rubber bushings to the riser.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts