Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is to much? Just changed out my speed sensor on 07 Road King. Sensor is under the starter, not an easy fix. Anyway how metal is to much? Do I have tranny issues to come sooner rather than later?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Are you seeing similar metal particles on the Transmission drain plug? If so, you have something chewing its way through the tranny...
I would go by what you see on the drain plug, more than what you get off the speed sensor. Just because, the drain gets pulled somewhat regularly. Those chips could have been stuck to the speed sensor for a very long time.

However, if and when you pull the drain plug, check the magnet! Is it there? Does it still stick to metal? You see where i'm going with this...

As for the amount of metal on there.... I would be posting the exact same question!

Sorry i can't be more helpful, but, i would compare the drain plug magnet before panic sets in!

·
luv the low country
20,651 Posts
Scott, you're on it there. My thoughts too.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you seeing similar metal particles on the Transmission drain plug? If so, you have something chewing its way through the tranny...
I would go by what you see on the drain plug, more than what you get off the speed sensor. Just because, the drain gets pulled somewhat regularly. Those chips could have been stuck to the speed sensor for a very long time.

However, if and when you pull the drain plug, check the magnet! Is it there? Does it still stick to metal? You see where i'm going with this...

As for the amount of metal on there.... I would be posting the exact same question!

Sorry i can't be more helpful, but, i would compare the drain plug magnet before panic sets in!
Thanks for the wisdom. Just changed the tranny fluid about 3-4 weeks ago, didn’t really see much on the plug. Definitely will keep an eye on it when I change next time.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Thanks for the wisdom. Just changed the tranny fluid about 3-4 weeks ago, didn’t really see much on the plug. Definitely will keep an eye on it when I change next time.
It's only a 15 minute job and takes a bottle of oil and one O ring. Cheap mind insurance, IMHO.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Check the bearings in the door and on the drive gear. If I remember correctly that year area have bearing issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the bearings in the door and on the drive gear. If I remember correctly that year area have bearing issues
I need some clarifcation. Can I just pull the transmission cover or do I need to do more invasive work.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
That's after 3 or 4 weeks! IMHO; it's not looking happy. I'd go with EvoRK's advise, at this point.
I'm no transmission expert but, that's some fair sized bits stuck on that magnet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just pulled my drain plug, 00 Road Glide, no metal on drain plug. Yes magnet is strong and lots of metal filings on speed sensor. I have cleaned the last 4 or 5 times the speedo acted up so now I'm about to change the sensor. The tranny still shifts fine and neutral is easy as long as my clutch is adjusted properly...lol. I think I'll flush it with some 20w50 a couple of times this week and then go back to the Redline Heavy.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I just pulled my drain plug, 00 Road Glide, no metal on drain plug. Yes magnet is strong and lots of metal filings on speed sensor. I have cleaned the last 4 or 5 times the speedo acted up so now I'm about to change the sensor. The tranny still shifts fine and neutral is easy as long as my clutch is adjusted properly...lol. I think I'll flush it with some 20w50 a couple of times this week and then go back to the Redline Heavy.
The metal filings on that sensor are not caused by the fluid. Just sayin'
What kind of mileage is on your bike Macdaddy?
You stated cleaning the sensor 4 or 5 times... Is this a recurring problem on this bike or is this over a number of years of occasional reoccurrence?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had speed sensor issues and had shards on sensor and magnet too. I used some of that hd formula plus to fill it, ran it for 10 miles then dumped it and replace with 75 140 gear lube.
The formula plus was thin and when hot, it just gushed out and some crud came out with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts