Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read a few threads about speed sensors going bad. Not sure if that is my issue or not...

Speedo will randomly drop to 0mph then back up to normal speed
speedo will freeze at random speed and go dead,no odometer no back light nothing.

I have removed the speed sensor and cleaned but no change.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Are you getting any DTCs?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Speedo acting odd

Oohhh--with all the Speedo posts on the forum lately, I thought maybe yours was riding up. My bad.

--

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Check the harness connection on the back of the speedo, sounds like the gauge is losing power. The sensor wouldn't affect the back lights or anything else except the MPH and ODO.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My bike did the same until all gauges stopped working. It was the fuse not making a good contact. I used electrical contact cleaner (crm), lightly filed the fuse contact and made sure the wires were pushed all the way into the fuse box from behind and problem is fixed. A quick way to tell if the fuse has poor contact is press on it with your finger with the key on and the fuse is hot, which indicates a poor connection. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I will be going through all the connections this week end, will follow up with results!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, pulled the fuse box. looked at the connections and all looked good. With that said I did go through all the connections to insure they are good. Also removed outer fairing and checked the plugs on the backside of the speedo. No visible issues as well.

Took her out for a good ride and all is well so far! I will be taking a 180 mile ride next week so time will tell. I am thinking it was the fuse box..

Thanks Thunder!

·
18 wheeler pilot
27 Posts
So I have read a few threads about speed sensors going bad. Not sure if that is my issue or not...

Speedo will randomly drop to 0mph then back up to normal speed
speedo will freeze at random speed and go dead,no odometer no back light nothing.

I have removed the speed sensor and cleaned but no change.

Thoughts?
Clean and tighten battery cables first. Other causes can be low battery voltage, bad battery, crankshaft sensor, speed sensor or loose connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts