Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just Bought my first Harley a week ago and yesterday morning the speedo quit working, along with the odometer and the lights. The lights on the speedo and the odometer turn on when I turn the key. I wait for the "key and engine" lights to go off then hit the starter, but then it all cuts off. The lights (headlight, Tail light, and blinkers) never even come on. I have read a few of the fourms posted about the speedo sensor, so I pulled it, but it looks brand new along with the rest of the bike. I wiped it off and stuck it back in, but that did nothing. I am going to check fuses to see if something was blown.

All in all, the bike runs like a champ. Has just under 4k miles.

Thanks, let me know what ya'll think!

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
That sounds like a discharged battery. Check volts across the battery terminals with the ignition off. Should be no less than 12.8v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the fuses and there were a couple of them blown. I changed them and it seemed to resolve the issue. I will check the battery voltage as well though because it feels like it may be getting weak when I crank it up.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What blew the fuses is the issue you should be thinking about. There is more than likely a short somewhere or loose cables Battery Starter ETC. I don't want you to go riding thinking everything is ok and get stuck just saying

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the issue. The wiring for the back lights that runs under the back fender fell onto the tire and got chewed up, so it was shorting out. I pulled it apart and soldered some new wires in and remounted it up in the fender. It seems to be working good now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Good find I Knew something had to cause them fuses to blow out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts