Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I few months ago I swapped my stock speedometer on my 2014 Superlow 1200T for the new Digital Combo Speedometer/Tachometer. All has been fine up until recently. In the past I would keep the digital readout on "trip odometer 1" to track my mileage for fuel refilling purposes. Whenever I restarted the bike it would still be on "trip odometer 1" but recently when I start the bike it switches to the total mileage readout and I get the little gas pump picture on the left. I did not install the sensor for the gas gauge readout so I never saw that gas pump before. Anyone else who has this speedo have any idea why all of a sudden the speedo is doing this? It's not a real big deal all I have to do is cycle through the digital readouts and the little gas pump symbol disappears and I'm back to normal. It's just odd that it took a few months for this to start happening.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Check your battery voltage. The battery gets low and the speedo will reset to original configuration, kinda like a reboot.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Schimtdys. I never thought of that and now that you mention it my bike does seem to struggle a bit when starting. It doesn't crank over as quick if it sits over night. If I start the bike often during the day it cranks quickly and the speedo doesn't reset. Next question would be why would a bike that's only a year old have a weakening battery especially in the summer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you use a battery tender?
Got a new OE battery for my Sportster last fall. It is always on a tender when not being used. Removed battery and kept on a tender all last winter.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Loose negative battery cable, very common on '04 and newer Sportys. There's a procedure for tightening the negative cable specific to Sportsters.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I start my bike four times a day when I commute and I have my doubts that the 28 mile round trip is putting back what I'm taking out of the battery during those four starts. After about a week I can notice the difference in cranking in the morning and will hook up the tender to get the battery back to full charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts