Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls, I want to introduce myself. My name is Boomer and i am new to this forum. i'm 23 years old and i just purchased my first Harley. It's and 87 sportster 1100. i absolutely love riding it and truly am hooked. i appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give to me and i hope to learn from this forum.

So, down to brass tax, i was riding my bike and everything has been running fine with no problems what so ever, i rode it to work on thursday and it ran like a dream, it rained all day so i left the bike at the shop and came back to get it friday. it started fine no problems, got on rode it to the end of the driveway, turned on to the main road, when i got on it out of the drive way at about 200 feet it lost power, then picked up then lost power it did this over and over again, i stopped on the side of the road 2 or three times, finally i limped it home the rest of the way but it most definitely didn't run well or right. now i bought this bike about a month ago from a guy, i don't know what his maintenance was like on the bike before so im starting with a bit of a clean slate.

thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Welcome, your in the right place. Your gonna have to narrow it down to either a spark or fuel issue.. I'm guessing here, but first try switching to reserve there might be something blocking one of the fuel inlets.
Get a HD manual, and go through the bike to get everything up to date for service.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ignition modules were known to fail on those bikes. Assuming fuel is fine. You have a CV butterfly carb if stock. Very uncomplicated but not very good performing. You can reproduce module issue with a hairdryer. Its under left side cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts