Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy another Dyna in a few months. I now have and FXD with Mags and going on 40K.

I like the the Dyna Custom but I prefer Mags. Less maint.

Any pros and cons with either.

I have not had anything other then my dirt bikes with spoke wheels since my 73 Kaw Z1.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
To me laced wheels will always look best but then again I am an old guy. Spokes look better than ANY stock mag wheel, but some aftermarket wheels look great. There is a lot of maintenance with a laced wheel but they are worth it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
being in AZ corrosion or rust is no problem.

i am not racing, but love the low maint of a mag.

I think some H-D spokes are tubless.

Or maybe lets see what changes are in 09 models.

BTW, I bought this bike Feb of 07.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I can most definitely do w/o the maintenance of spokes.

To me, it's at least partly a "show or go" thing.

If you spend a lot of time looking at, and fussing with your bike, you' might prefer spokes.
If you want to spend more time riding, and less time on maintenance, you'll prefer mags.

You can't see either when you're riding.

And Dave..
my mags were never coated. Fork sliders are but my owners manual from day one said if you didn't wipe the wheels off regularly they willl corrode and stain and it IS NOT covered by warranty.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Besides the fact that you like spokes better then mags, what would you think about well done chromed mags? I have seen some that looked OK, the same mags actually, and they would be easier to maintain, or I should say not likely to corrode.. in the absence of maintenance.

I bought a set of brand new 2007 Corvette take-off wheels and tires for less than the replacement tires alone would have cost, I thought they'd be bare or clearcoated like her 2005 wheels are, but they are just plain painted, and not a real bright aluminum color either.

She wants me to have them plated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I am asking this question, is that I am going to replace my FXD with a new bike by December.

I was looking at the FXDC and FXDL. The big thing to me is spokes or mags.
I know the L has more bling, but I am a no frills and prefer to ride then clean and polish.

I do not want another FXD. I would have to add pass pegs, two up seat blah blah blah again.

·
Registered
40,796 Posts
I put stainless spokes on my front, I like em.....

But what do I know? I have a spoked front with a cast rear.

:D

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I put stainless spokes on my front, I like em.....

But what do I know? I have a spoked front with a cast rear.

:D
With as much horsepower as your engine makes you don't have a lot of options for a rear wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 06 night train and i've found some spoke rims on ebay for cheap but they say they wont fit can anyone tell me why they wouldn't fit. The shaft size is the same, is it that the bolt pattern for the rotor is different

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I use mags these days, largely because I am paranoid and use Ultraseal in the tubelesses. Many years ago I had an off when a rear tire went suddenly flat.

That said, you can adapt spokes for tubeless with bathroom silicone. The classic racers do it.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
I was looking for a pix of fat spoked wheels to show and ask what you guys thought about them, this statement as the caption under this picture. How can a motorcycle magazine writer not really know how a spoked wheel works?

the layout of the spokes creates a pyramid shape when you look at the spokes from the rim to the hub. What this means is that as the wheel spins there will always be three spokes pointed at a 90-degree angle to the ground, absorbing the majority of the impact and dispersing the energy across the three spokes

one of the hottest wheels Ride Wright offers is its 50-spoke Fat Daddy wheel. The wheels are highlighted by solid stainless-steel 3/8-inch spokes. Aside from the fat spokes, the way the wheels are laced gets a lot of attention as well. The spokes run straight out from the hub to the rim in a radial-lace fashion, as opposed to the more traditional cross-lace pattern in which the spoke exits the hub at an angle crossing over several other spokes
This one's a 40 Spoke, different Vendor.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I have to confess I like spokes better for looks, but both my bikes came with mags, and I'm just cheap :D

Never seen a better looking bike than my first, like this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts