Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an 05 sporster 883low (under 7k miles) and was looking at options for the exhaust. I see a lot of used slip on on FB but I am not sure what is interchangeable?. I believe the inlet is 1.75 in (1 3/4) so does that mean ANY. Slip on with that inlet size will work? I was specifically looki g at some vance turn downs that were fairly cheap, all I see is that people put them on touring. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Senior Flatulant
1,097 Posts
Welcome from PA!

Do your research first.

Make sure your 'slip-ons' will slip off! There are bikes that have clamps AND tack-welds holding them on.

Figure out what you are looking for and check their website.

Online catalogs are a good place to start and will list the bikes they will fit usually by year(s).

Record the part numbers and search F/B, Craigslist or Penny Saver and be fairly certain that it will fit.

Plenty of like new parts at very low prices out there.

Cheers,
Smoketown

·
ochog1
8 Posts
Sure any will fit if it has the proper size but it the mounting thats the problem. Touring mufflers have a hanger at the top rear. You should be able to get by with any sportster related muffler. As the previous poster said if not sure check the catalogs for interchangeable part numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is hard to check catalogs sometimes because people who post things online have no common sense anymore. Not like penny saver days or ads in paper where they made sure u gave an Intelligent description. I constantly see bikes with just pics, no make or model or miles/year included, and pipes that just say " for harley" and 1 3/4 when u ask what they were for etc. I will do more research. Is there any all inclusive catalog that is best to look at? It's like pulling teeth to get part numbers from people. Like they are going out of Their way to sell me their sh** and I am inconveniencing them ( didn't think that's how selling a product works) sorry for rant, thanks guys.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I know what you mean about unreliable descriptions on internet sites. A lot of Harley parts don't have part numbers on them. Besides the head pipe size you have to look at how the muffler is mounted. Sometimes you can tell from the sellers pics, but you have a better chance of getting the right fitment if they can get you good pics of the mounting areas on the mufflers.
You can also try cross referencing parts with online HD dealers, like this: Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's Harley Davidson Street Bike Parts Finder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts