Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Proud Infidel
2,514 Posts
Shockers are one of the best-fit ways in the way out. These are designed to absorb and reduce drive bounce, vehicle roll or sway, and brake dive and acceleration squat. <a href="https://hydraulicsuspension.com/5-best-shocks-for-harley-davidson-sportster/">Best Shocks For Harley Davidson </a>
Your tactics suck.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is old thread, but info just as valid.

I was after the same info,
I have 2004 883 XL, mid mount control bike
With the OEM springs set to maximum stiffness with the adjuster mine measure 13 3/8th centre to centre of the eyelet with me lifting the bike from the rack and my mate measuring. We thought it was an odd length so we measured multiple times.

Was looking for new springs too. Thinking Progressive too. Was very tempted by the external reservoir 990's, but the price !!! $1500 usd
Think I will go with the 444's.

HD or standard springs, that is the question though.
I ride mostly solo with a few trips 2 up with baggage. When 2 up we and the bags can be up to about 350 lbs...but general riding I am 220 lbs.
what do you reckon ? Standard or HD ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, that was me. Don't know what was funny about the bike.
I'm sorry I'm having a lot of trouble staying logged on to this site first of all okay I didn't say it was funny it was a it was a Bow Down emo con I was looking for a thumbs up emoticon but I could not find a thumbs-up icon so I put the bow down one please I did not think it was funny I said it was nice.
I took the Amo emoticon out. Sorry about all that. The confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sorry I'm having a lot of trouble staying logged on to this site first of all okay I didn't say it was funny it was a it was a Bow Down emo con I was looking for a thumbs up emoticon but I could not find a thumbs-up icon so I put the bow down one please I did not think it was funny I said it was nice.
I took the Amo emoticon out. Sorry about all that. The confusion.

I'm Sorry Kainam
I'm so mixed up these days,
I also had the groups mixed up, was trying to find my post here, But I had the groups mixed up too. LOL
I can't even find it now, they must change the stupid emotions too.
Anyways, That "Little guy" is not Laughing, he is bowing down like in praise.

So I got the groups mixed up too,
But I'll ask here I guess,

On a 2002 Sportster Custom (1200) What was the stock rear shock length?
I have been googling this for a week, and can't find a solid answer.
Thing is, I got some progressive 412's on it now, they were given to me a while (good while back) although I liked the improved handling, they are a little too tall for me right now, as my knees are a little questionable now. Thinking about some new progressives.
I don't have my take offs any longer, to measure, and If I get some new 412's I hate to guess. IIRC the stock ones that were on there were a good length for me.
It's a tall persons world, as I only stand about 5' 6" . Don't trust my knees these days, but as long as I'm flat footed with both feet, I'm OK.

So someone said (in the other group) he thinks they are 13.25" long.
But I have been reading where they say the 2002 XL 1200 Custom has 11.75" shocks stock.
The closets Progressive has is 11.5 and 12.0"

Thinking about the 11 1/2" Or the 12"
Looks like the 11 1/2" might be standard duty, It's not real clear.
11 1/2" Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension 412-4011C Chrome 11.5" Standard Replacement Rear Suspension Shock: Automotive
12" Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension 412-4050C Chrome 12" Heavy Duty Replacement Rear Suspension Shock: Automotive

wonder how much difference in the seat height between the two it would make?

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, now the postings confusion has been sorted ! 😉

I just ordered 444 Progressives from California Phil.

13.5 inch with Standard rate springs.

I weigh 220lbs this week, last month I was 207. 😞😞

Progressive themselves say the weight break point for going to Heavy duty springs is 250lbs.

When I ride two up, plus bags, combined weight is about 350 lbs, so I was a bit stuck as to standard or HD.
Went Standard and a bit taller, my originals are 13, so the extra ½ inch will be ok, and might give me a bit more clearance from bottoming when two up.

Will post back if I remember, and can find this thread, in a few months when they arrive.
Phil orders them in, then has to send them on to me, in Jersey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, now the postings confusion has been sorted ! 😉

I just ordered 444 Progressives from California Phil.

13.5 inch with Standard rate springs.

I weigh 220lbs this week, last month I was 207. 😞😞

Progressive themselves say the weight break point for going to Heavy duty springs is 250lbs.

When I ride two up, plus bags, combined weight is about 350 lbs, so I was a bit stuck as to standard or HD.
Went Standard and a bit taller, my originals are 13, so the extra ½ inch will be ok, and might give me a bit more clearance from bottoming when two up.

Will post back if I remember, and can find this thread, in a few months when they arrive.
Phil orders them in, then has to send them on to me, in Jersey
Wow, 250 lbs. Breaking point. wonder if I should get the standards?
I decided on the 11 1/2" ones.
IDK, I mostly ride single, but who knows, in the future?
I guess the standard duty would ride a little nicer, don't you think?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was going Heavy Duty, because of phone call I had with Progressive,
But Phil and others said ‘No’ best with Standard unless regularly , like more than half the time, over 250lbs.

I am 200, so HD would be too stiff

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was going Heavy Duty, because of phone call I had with Progressive,
But Phil and others said ‘No’ best with Standard unless regularly , like more than half the time, over 250lbs.

I am 200, so HD would be too stiff
Well unless I go with a 12in standard Duty I'll have to think about it thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well unless I go with a 12in standard Duty I'll have to think about it thanks

Found my stock shocks in the CF garage!
Research shows the stock 02 XLC as a 11.75" length, however my take-offs are measuring out to 12" length. So thinking I will end up with the 12-inch standard-duty 412's.

BTW, the number for the standard duty 02 XLC (12") is
412-4049 C (Chrome) 412-4049B (Black).
Heavy duty (12") is 412-4050C/B.
(Chrome/Black)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/333338652482
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Out of interest where did you gt your part numbers from

My dealer page shows completely different P/N's. It does not list actual 1200XLC, it just lists Sportster and year. Usually the page it brings up then lists all the different models on the list
No spec regarding length though

numbers seem to be
54566-97
54568-92 or 54471-82
54552-96A - 54552-96
54542-96A - 54542-96

https://www.jerseyh-d.com/original-harley-davidson-parts?year=15&modelcode=Sportster&part=1038

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts