Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to Harley. I bought a sportglide 2020 with 23 miles on the clock and rode for about 70miles. Battery drained due to minimal use and completely died when trying to recharge. My question is what battery should use to replace? Can an aftermarket battery be advised? Or should I stick to the original battery by HD? would my warranty become void if used an after market battery? I appreciate your guidance. Thanks

·
Old Skool
662 Posts
Harley should replace it if the Bike only has 100 miles on it. Did you use a Battery Charger or a Tender? If its completely Dead a Tender won't Charge it.

·
Registered
43,190 Posts
Hi I am new to Harley. I bought a sportglide 2020 with 23 miles on the clock and rode for about 70miles. Battery drained due to minimal use and completely died when trying to recharge. My question is what battery should use to replace? Can an aftermarket battery be advised? Or should I stick to the original battery by HD? would my warranty become void if used an after market battery? I appreciate your guidance. Thanks
I use Yuasa GYZ series. GYZ20HL

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I use the OEM Deka battery. I always leave it on the tender and get good service life out of them. Do a DuckduckGo Search online for a good price.

·
Registered
43,190 Posts
Harley should replace it if the Bike only has 100 miles on it. Did you use a Battery Charger or a Tender? If its completely Dead a Tender won't Charge it.
A Battery Tender Plus (1.25A) will charge a battery at 3V or above.

WORKING WITH A DEAD BATTERY OR A BATTERY WITH A VERY LOW VOLTAGE: If you try to charge a dead battery having a voltage below 3 Volts, the Battery Tender® Plus charger will not start. An internal safety circuit prevents the charger from generating any output voltage unless it senses at least 3 Volts at the charger output. In this situation, the red light will continue to flash, indicating that a charge has not been initiated.

NOTE:
If a 12 Volt, Lead-Acid battery has an output voltage of less than 9 volts when it is at rest, when it is neither being charged nor supplying electrical current to an external load, there is a good chance that the battery is defective. As a frame of reference, a fully charged 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery will have a rest-state, no-load voltage of approximately 12.9 volts. A fully discharged 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery will have a rest-state, no-load voltage of approximately 11.4 volts. That means that a voltage change of only 1.5 volts represents the full range of charge 0% to 100% on a 12-Volt, Lead-Acid battery. Depending on the manufacturer, and the age of the battery, the specific voltages will vary by a few tenths of a volt, but the 1.5- volt range will still be a good indicator of the battery charge %

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for prompt response. Perhaps it was my fault trusting the HD battery too much with out using a battery charger in the first place. Expensive lesson learnt.
Your cost should only be for the battery tender. Believe your dealer should replace your original battery if they test it & can't get it to charge. Once charged or once you have your dealer-replaced new battery, purchase a battery tender & develop the habit of connecting the tender when bike isn't being used.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Your cost should only be for the battery tender. Believe your dealer should replace your original battery if they test it & can't get it to charge. Once charged or once you have your dealer-replaced new battery, purchase a battery tender & develop the habit of connecting the tender when bike isn't being used.
What he said...lol I didn't realize how much background stuff runs on these newer bikes. All of that will drain a battery. My old , trusty '03 Electra Glide could be put in the garage for the winter and still start in the spring. Not the case with my Street Glide Special. A few weeks and she complains. Bought the Battery Tender smart charger with 2 leads for our bikes. Works great.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What he said...lol I didn't realize how much background stuff runs on these newer bikes. All of that will drain a battery. My old , trusty '03 Electra Glide could be put in the garage for the winter and still start in the spring. Not the case with my Street Glide Special. A few weeks and she complains. Bought the Battery Tender smart charger with 2 leads for our bikes. Works great.
So looks like your new tender might have saved your battery, is that right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ive tendered every bike Ive owned in the last 20 odd years. The last bike the OEM lasted 12 years. I replaced because it dragged the start when cold. Got a Scorpion gel and it worked well for about 6 months and started to drag.

When I brought the Slim home last June, I charged it over night , and has been on the tender ever since.

At the Hondog shop I worked at they give a tender with every new bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive tendered every bike Ive owned in the last 20 odd years. The last bike the OEM lasted 12 years. I replaced because it dragged the start when cold. Got a Scorpion gel and it worked well for about 6 months and started to drag.

When I brought the Slim home last June, I charged it over night , and has been on the tender ever since.

At the Hondog shop I worked at they give a tender with every new bike.
Shortly after I moved back to South Dakota from Virginia, I needed to replace my original factory battery (04 Dyna & this was 2017). I ordered the best Scorpion battery they had & was weak right out of the box. Worked okay but only if I kept it on the tender. I couldn't rely on it starting if out on an overnight trip. Kept the scorpion for 10 months & never again.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,375 Posts
Poor motorcycle having only 70 miles put on it in 2 years.

Nose Hair Eyebrow Cartoon Jaw

·
Veteran
2020 Ultra Limited with Stage 1 upgrade.
37 Posts
If you're under warranty, HD should replace it. Always keep it on a trickle charger when not riding. I always do and have never had a battery die on me yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a 2017 Ultra and never put it on a tender. am lucky enough to live in Alabama so i ride year round. plus after really cold days i start it up and let it run for a bit if i am not going for a ride soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts