Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with my Sportster at startup. Recently tried starting it up for first time since the fall. Pushed the starter and sounded like the engine was trying to turnover, but failed. All lights stayed on so there was still juice in the battery.

I connected the battery to a 2amp charger until it showed charged. I then tried it again and it started up, but almost puttered out multiple times requiring some revving. Took it out for a ride and came back.

1 week later, (this past Sunday) basically the same scenario played out. Except I rode it for 2 hours before parking it again. I went out and bought a trickle charger. When I connected it, the trickle charger showed the battery was green and good to go, so I disconnected it.

This morning I went out to ride it to work, but nothing happened. The headlights and center console lights came on but the engine didnt make a sound when I pushed the starter. So what I thought was a weakening battery I now am not sure if it's a starter problem or loose/ dirty cables.

Any tips to fix and prevent future issues are much appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Take a close inspection of the positive battery cable. Also tighten the battery cables following the book procedure. The fully charged battery should measure at least 12.8v static.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My guess is the battery is bad. If it sat all winter without being on a maintainer, it's very likely bad.

The meter on chargers is about worthless, plus a battery with sulfited cells will show charged because the voltage when not under load will be about right. Bench charge the battery, with a good charger, the load test it. Bet you it fails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts