Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate when people say that if you buy a Sportster you're buying a starter bike, or an entry level Harley. Most, I think, say this because of it's engine size and the price. Well if I buy a Chevy Cruze instead of a Suburban am I buying a starter car? it's got a smaller engine and it cost less so it must be a starter car? I don't think so. I think you buy what you like for what you need it to do and at the price you want to pay. Why would I buy a Road King when all I do is local riding? Why would I buy a Suburban when a Cruze will do what I need it to for a lot less money and get a lot better MPG. Unless I planned on going cross country I don't need a big Harley just to say I have a big Harley.... just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
you buy a RK or a suburban because its what you want and can afford it.i don't believe anyone would rather have a sporty or a cruze.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 2 cents is that a Sportster is too big and heavy (and powerful) for a starter bike. Better to learn the basics on a small, used dual-purpose bike on some trails. The learning accidents there will be less serious and less costly.

·
Wayward Son
23,506 Posts
People buy what they buy for a multitude of different reasons.
Those that buy only for a status symbol or because of what others say really need to get a grip.

Was a time the Honda 750/4 was the fastest bike on the street. But the 883 is a higher displacement.
The 1200 was HD`s Big Twin. Now has 4 cams and in a fashion continues on in the Sportster.

Harleys new Street models, 500 & 750 are probably the closest the MOCO has ever come to a "starter" bike.
But I do`t think that is the intent for the model either.

As more larger CI`s continue to be manufactured the smaller ones will become looked at as beginners bikes. It`s just lack of knowledge, of the history, just plain ignorance, ?????.

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
IMO... Not that it counts for anything.... The Sportster is not a "starter" or "beginner" bike. It is just a different style of bike to accommodate different peoples style and choices. I was in a toss up between the 48 and the Fat Bob and in the end i personally went with the dyna. It comes down to what do you want out of a bike, what is your style, and how much can you afford or are willing to spend.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Honda Rebel can be considered a starter bike... not a Sportster...

I have not taken the new Street bikes from HD for a test ride. Not sure how those ride...

But then again... my brother starter bike was a Suzuki M109R... crazy sob...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
A "starter" bike should be easy to ride, have a low center of gravity, be light enough to be picked up by oneself. Have only enough power to stay out of trouble, but not enough to create trouble. A Sportster is top heavy, just plain heavy, and has a bunch of power. I love my Sportster, but am glad that 55 years ago, when I was learning to ride I had a nice light 175cc Allstate/ Puch for a "starter". By the way, my brother still has that 175cc, and it still runs!

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Sportster's are for girls....... :spar

Dude, ride your sportster and quit whining about people judging what you ride.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Sportster a starter bike...hugh?

My bike wheelies when shifting into second gear on full acceleration, can lean over to a point where I can almost scrape a knee, has enough ground clearance to ride in my woods, outruns all but the fastest bike and cars on the street light to light....starter bike I think not.

I've always said the sound of a straight piped 74ci shovelhead is the best harley sound IMO and a 1200 sportster is a close second.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sportster's are for girls....... :spar

Dude, ride your sportster and quit whining about people judging what you ride.
Dude I'm not whining, I was just making a statement. Believe me I ride what I want and do what I want, I don't care what people say. Sometimes I do like to figure out why they say or think things.

·
Wayward Son
23,506 Posts
Dude I'm not whining, I was just making a statement. Believe me I ride what I want and do what I want, I don't care what people say. Sometimes I do like to figure out why they say or think things.
And you can ask 20 different people and get 20+ different answers.
That`s why I rarely ask............

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you buy a RK or a suburban because its what you want and can afford it.i don't believe anyone would rather have a sporty or a cruze.
I don't want a RK to ride back and forth to work each day. I can't even fit on a RK....it's to big for me. So yes, I'd rather have a Sportster.

·
Wayward Son
23,506 Posts
I don't want a RK to ride back and forth to work each day. I can't even fit on a RK....it's to big for me. So yes, I'd rather have a Sportster.
To big? Most Sportsters set higher.
Owner\Rider confidence level has a lot to do with size perception.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've got a Sporty and RK their both fun to ride.
The sporty is good around town and shorter trips. I get more compliments about it.
The king is much better for traveling and camping. Carries more gear and is more comfortable.

Attachments

·
Wayward Son
23,506 Posts
Now just how would you know ???? You ain't been out of the basement all year. :fitz
Sneaked out a while back and sat on some bikes outside the local MC club house.
Till one of their Prospects saw me....... :eek Damn near did`t get away. :eek:uttahere:

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Sneaked out a while back and sat on some bikes outside the local MC club house.
Till one of their Prospects saw me....... :eek Damn near did`t get away. :eek:uttahere:
Bet they ain't never seen an old Shovelhead hit a 100 that fast!!

1 - 20 of 140 Posts