Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I see this is a pretty old thread but I'm hoping for some help on the same issue

97 1200 Sporty

It's my brothers bike, I got it 5 days ago rode it home (55miles) and it drove like a dream!
Next day I replaced Fork seals, then sprayed eng/trans with Oven Cleaner cuz the forks where leaking so bad it was nasty, let it soak for 30mins then went at it with a bristle brush, then rinsed, polished, washed and waxed it.

Started it up and it's running like shit! Idles fine but with light throttle it spits and pops, if I proceed with more throttle it'll get worse and wanna stall out. If I give the throttle a quik snap and then steady throttle it will rap and rev just fine with occasional flames out the exhaust. While riding it is gutless if you ride it like a grandma, same thing if I quik snap throttle and then punch it, it goes like a raped ape!! But if I wanna try to maintain a steady speed, it won't wanna do it, it spits and pops, I also noticed when its spitting and popping if I pull the choke it'll wanna go

So here's a list of everything I've done over the last 4 days to try and get it goin, dropped $300 on having a mech throw parts at me and for having him take a quik peek and a test drive!!

Took the carb out and apart and cleaned it, cleaned air filter, replaced air filter housing gasket and gasket on Y pipe where carb goes into.

Still runs like shit

I then took apart the carb again and did a very thorough cleaning, this time cleaning main and slow jet orifices with cleaning tool, also dropping out float and needle to inspect them and clean as well

Still runs like shit!

Limped it to the mech shop 5 miles away, he peeked at it and took it for a test drive and took me it was in the carb and also sold me a accelerator pump diaphragm....and charge me $60....so I went home pulled the carb apart AGAIN, cleaned it AGAIN and replace the diaphragm

Still runs like shit!

Mech now sold me plugs and a coil...."that's gonna be it" mech said
So I went home and put those in

Same shit...."oh sorry no returns on electronics" mech said!

Went home researched YouTube, sprayed my intake gaskets with carb clean and it almost stalled out

Pulled carb and removed Y pipe, intake gaskets where BAD!! SWEET I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! Ran back to mech shop, showed him the gaskets and he said "yup that'll do it"!! Which is what I was thinking too!

NOPE same shit!

Pulled Y pipe again just to verify I didn't roll a gasket while installing, everything looked good so I put it back in

Same problems

(At this point I'm seriously thinking about lighting it on fire)!

With bike running again I sprayed crab clean behind the carb again and it still wants to stall out

I then replaced all the Vacuum line!

Same shit!!

I then drained the fuel take and pulled the petcock and inspected the fuel screen, everything looks fine there too, I had about 1.5 gallon of gas in the gas can I drained it into so I dumped 2oz of Seafoam and gave the can some light shakes, put fuel back into tank and test drove for about 10miles to see if I just had to work some shit out of it.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I first started it right after the washing, it was idling like shit so I adjusted my idle screw, I have no Tac so I'm not sure what R's it's idling at. After my 10 mile test drive, I swung into a diff Motorcycle shop, cuz I'm fed up with that other dbag at this point, the shop was closed but the techs where shooting the shit and having a beer in the shop, I talk to the head tech about all the issues and what if done to it, and he then test drove it, he told me he thought the bowl wasn't getting enough fuel and told me to drop the bowl on the bike and check the fuel level. (Didn't charge me anything which I really liked)!

Went home and had the ol lady hold the sporty upright for me while I dropped the bowl all the way out, I spilt a little bit while removing it but I'd say the bowl is about 3/4 full of fuel which I would think is good since when it goes back in the float displaces the fuel and causes the fuel level to rise in the bowl.

Oh shit theres a few steps I missed previously to pulling the bowl.....I removed headlight assembly and inspected all my wires and connectors they all looked good, also checked my ground at Batt and at Frame both were tight.

So that's where I sit as of right now, bowl is out 3/4 full of fuel.....I hope I gave enough detail to what's goin on and what I've done, hope I'm not forgetting anything

Where do I go next? After reading this thread I'm wondering do I replace the 45 slow jet to a bigger one?

Also what is this round thing behind the top of the carb? It has a Vac line and 2 wires goin into it, that maybe the area when I spray with carb clean that's causing the stall??

Or do I need to look at the diaphragm in the petcock?

Oops I also pulled file line from petcock to inlet and that seems good aswell, also while I had the carb out the last time I placed it upside down and put a vac on fuel inlet, then placed right side up while still holding a vac.....vac held fine

Help help help

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey guys, I see this is a pretty old thread but I'm hoping for some help on the same issue

97 1200 Sporty

It's my brothers bike, I got it 5 days ago rode it home (55miles) and it drove like a dream!
Next day I replaced Fork seals, then sprayed eng/trans with Oven Cleaner cuz the forks where leaking so bad it was nasty, let it soak for 30mins then went at it with a bristle brush, then rinsed, polished, washed and waxed it.

Started it up and it's running like shit! Idles fine but with light throttle it spits and pops, if I proceed with more throttle it'll get worse and wanna stall out. If I give the throttle a quik snap and then steady throttle it will rap and rev just fine with occasional flames out the exhaust. While riding it is gutless if you ride it like a grandma, same thing if I quik snap throttle and then punch it, it goes like a raped ape!! But if I wanna try to maintain a steady speed, it won't wanna do it, it spits and pops, I also noticed when its spitting and popping if I pull the choke it'll wanna go

So here's a list of everything I've done over the last 4 days to try and get it goin, dropped $300 on having a mech throw parts at me and for having him take a quik peek and a test drive!!

Took the carb out and apart and cleaned it, cleaned air filter, replaced air filter housing gasket and gasket on Y pipe where carb goes into.

Still runs like shit

I then took apart the carb again and did a very thorough cleaning, this time cleaning main and slow jet orifices with cleaning tool, also dropping out float and needle to inspect them and clean as well

Still runs like shit!

Limped it to the mech shop 5 miles away, he peeked at it and took it for a test drive and took me it was in the carb and also sold me a accelerator pump diaphragm....and charge me $60....so I went home pulled the carb apart AGAIN, cleaned it AGAIN and replace the diaphragm

Still runs like shit!

Mech now sold me plugs and a coil...."that's gonna be it" mech said
So I went home and put those in

Same shit...."oh sorry no returns on electronics" mech said!

Went home researched YouTube, sprayed my intake gaskets with carb clean and it almost stalled out

Pulled carb and removed Y pipe, intake gaskets where BAD!! SWEET I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! Ran back to mech shop, showed him the gaskets and he said "yup that'll do it"!! Which is what I was thinking too!

NOPE same shit!

Pulled Y pipe again just to verify I didn't roll a gasket while installing, everything looked good so I put it back in

Same problems

(At this point I'm seriously thinking about lighting it on fire)!

With bike running again I sprayed crab clean behind the carb again and it still wants to stall out

I then replaced all the Vacuum line!

Same shit!!

I then drained the fuel take and pulled the petcock and inspected the fuel screen, everything looks fine there too, I had about 1.5 gallon of gas in the gas can I drained it into so I dumped 2oz of Seafoam and gave the can some light shakes, put fuel back into tank and test drove for about 10miles to see if I just had to work some shit out of it.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I first started it right after the washing, it was idling like shit so I adjusted my idle screw, I have no Tac so I'm not sure what R's it's idling at. After my 10 mile test drive, I swung into a diff Motorcycle shop, cuz I'm fed up with that other dbag at this point, the shop was closed but the techs where shooting the shit and having a beer in the shop, I talk to the head tech about all the issues and what if done to it, and he then test drove it, he told me he thought the bowl wasn't getting enough fuel and told me to drop the bowl on the bike and check the fuel level. (Didn't charge me anything which I really liked)!

Went home and had the ol lady hold the sporty upright for me while I dropped the bowl all the way out, I spilt a little bit while removing it but I'd say the bowl is about 3/4 full of fuel which I would think is good since when it goes back in the float displaces the fuel and causes the fuel level to rise in the bowl.

Oh shit theres a few steps I missed previously to pulling the bowl.....I removed headlight assembly and inspected all my wires and connectors they all looked good, also checked my ground at Batt and at Frame both were tight.

So that's where I sit as of right now, bowl is out 3/4 full of fuel.....I hope I gave enough detail to what's goin on and what I've done, hope I'm not forgetting anything

Where do I go next? After reading this thread I'm wondering do I replace the 45 slow jet to a bigger one?

Also what is this round thing behind the top of the carb? It has a Vac line and 2 wires goin into it, that maybe the area when I spray with carb clean that's causing the stall??

Or do I need to look at the diaphragm in the petcock?

Oops I also pulled file line from petcock to inlet and that seems good aswell, also while I had the carb out the last time I placed it upside down and put a vac on fuel inlet, then placed right side up while still holding a vac.....vac held fine

Help help help
Runs good, wash it, runs bad..........I'd say it was electrical in nature , not carb/fuel .

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
That round thing is the VOES, changes the ignition timing based on vaccum.
Did you check the vacuum diaphram when the carb was apart ?
Is the needle jet installed right side up ?
Maybe the ignition pickup plate screws are loose and the plate is moving around or the pickup is going bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled gas line off petcock and cranked over....fuel flow is great

If it is an electrical issue, is there a way to pull codes on this without taking it to Harley shop and dropping another $100?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Put in a 48 Slow jet....seemed to help a little bit so I put in a 175 Main jet.....maybe running worse now......I ****ing give up!
Quit whining...:)

There is no logic to changing jets, the bike was running fine with the existing jets, do you think they all of a sudden got larger or smaller?

Don`t just start changing parts .

Pull that carburetor apart again (completely), when you reinstall the needle jet make sure you reinstall it with the long end toward the carb throat (the needle jet is the sleeve that comes through the bottom of the carburetor throat, the needle passes through it, it can be installed wrong).

When you remove the slow speed jet, don`t lose the tiny washer or o ring...

Remove the intake manifold and replace the seals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I alrdy replaced the intake gaskets, pulled them out to double check them, ummm i can see the needle thru the slide, there's no way it's in upside down! And the carb is CLEAN!! I've been thru it multiple times, a new one wouldn't be any cleaner, that's how confident I am inside the carb ITS CLEAN!!

Anyone know where I should start looking for an electrical issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The needle sleeve only went in one way.....I had it in upside down the first time but with it upside down the main orfice tube wouldn't go in. Also the spring, washer and o-ring are on the mixture screw......NOT the slow jet!!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
There is a sticky in the electrical section on how to get.read.understand the codes .

Now quit putting parts on that bike. Find the problem first, so it can be fixed.

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a problem with the main jet holder, needle and needle jet.
The needle jet will install in either direction, if it wouldn't go in upside down there's a problem there. The needle jet will install either way.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Sorry, I don't know. But I still say the problem is electrical in nature because it was running fine before you washed it .

Look at all of your wiring plugs, are they dry ?

Pull the plug wires and see if the sockets are still dry, both ends .

Check the ignition pickup .

Basicly think like a water drop, check anything and everything that could get wet .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replaced plugs a few days ago, old plugs looked fine, tried a new cool (is that what you mean by ignition pickup?) or do you mean ignition switch itself (where key goes into), also grabbed plug wires off my neighbors sporty all same running issue....

I agree with electrical issue......it seems to be not firing under load....spark looks weak (orange spark) Reminder Plugs, Coil and Wires and been changed out with same orange spark

Also checked my connection at starter = clean and tight

any chance a bad stator is the issue?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ignition switch (where key is)
or run/kill switch

sorry for my confusion, I'm not used to wrenching on cycles....
Parts Finder St. Charles Harley-Davidson® St. Charles, MO (800) 844-8660

Look at ignition mod. part #24 also part #22 , and all of the plugs that hook the parts up . Look also at coil plug (electrical connections) .

With a weak spark, and the parts that you have already changed out...I'm thinking that you have a bad ( poor , dirty , corroded ) connection someplace in the circuit .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts