Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vapor Locked
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the "REAL" Harley Service Manual it states the clutch should be adjusted every 5,000 miles. Is it talking about adjusting the cable only or the whole assembly. I would think the clutch basket would be adjusted when you run out of cable adjustment. So my question is, Do I adjust the clutch basket every time I service the bike?

Thanks
Grampa Kracker

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,130 Posts
I do the whole thing... I have the cover open to change fluids anyway and its only 5 extra minutes or so.

·
Vapor Locked
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll start taking the derby cover off when I service the bike. I have been taking the primary chain inspection cover off, inspecting the chain tension and adding the oil that way.

Thanks again
Grampa Kracker

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does it say "adjust" the cable at 5,000 miles or "check" the adjustment? I don't adjust anything unless it develops excessive play or I'm actually having an issue engaging the clutch.

·
Vapor Locked
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On page 1-10 there is a table (table 1-4) for "Regular Service Intervals: 2011 Sportster Models" and the "Item Serviced" is "Clutch" and the "Procedure" is "Check Adjustment". It shows the first adjustment is at 1,000 miles and the next is at 5,000 followed in 5,000 mile increments.

Grampa Kracker

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The key there is "check" you only need adjust when the clutch develops either too much free play, or not enough free play.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Grampa, the check adjustment in my mind just means checking the play in the clutch lever to make sure it isn't excessive. You would only actually make an adjustment if there was excessive play. In some respects every time you pull the clutch you are "checking" the clutch play. The tendency is for the cable to stretch over time and useage requiring an adjustment. When you begin to feel that excessive play it's time to make an adjustment.

·
Vapor Locked
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. That will make it easer to service then. I'm I servicing the primary case right by not taking off the derby cover and adding the oil via the inspection cover? It states the amount of oil is one quart so what is the need it check if the oil level after I add one quart? I check the clutch adjustment everytime I pull on it.

Thanks
Grampa Kracker

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
I add the oil thru the inspection cover, derby only comes off to adjust the clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts