Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 HD Sportster Hugger 883
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hopefully this hasn’t been covered and if it has- apologies !
Swapping out my OEM clutch and “grenade plate” on my 2000 Sportster. Narrowed down to either a Screamin Eacle performance clutch kit - Kevlar (comes with 10% stronger clutch spring plate and an extra plate) or the Barnett extra plate clutch kit. (Kevlar)
Questions:
1- anyone run wither of those in their bike? How does it feel? Lever pull hard or not bad?
2- what type of oil you use for either? I know Barnett asks to use ATF type ‘F’ and NOT to specifically use Formula+ (which I have used this entire time) so Anatole out ther use this clutch kit and with F+ by chance? Any issues?

appreciate the help here ladies and gentlemen, truly I do! I know I’m swapping it but putting out some feelers to see what other people have hadgood or bad luck with!

·
weird member
2,634 Posts
I used to use a Barnett Kevlar extra plate with a 20% stronger spring on my big twin. I imagine the SE clutch is probably the same.

Grips fast and hard, jerks harder if you dump the clutch over stock. Very short "friction zone" compared to stock. 20% stronger spring is a significantly harder clutch pull, but not impossible, wouldn't recommend if you have arthritis or something. Though it wasn't that bad, mostly only a pain in stop-and-go traffic. I now use a Rivera/Primo Pro Clutch (much easier clutch pull with just as much hold, longer friction zone).

You don't have to use ATF, but you can NOT use the Forumla+ (too thick, will cause drag). You can use ATF or Bel-Rey or Redline or Spectro Heavy Duty primary oil (all primary specific oils, all work fine). Also you have to adjust the adjuster screw different (adjust it less than the manual specifies... instructions will indicate, probably 1/4 turn from lightly seated).

Again, do NOT use the Harley Formula+ with an extra plate clutch.

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
Rekluse TorqDrive

Reactions: tekslk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey all, hopefully this hasn’t been covered and if it has- apologies !
Swapping out my OEM clutch and “grenade plate” on my 2000 Sportster. Narrowed down to either a Screamin Eacle performance clutch kit - Kevlar (comes with 10% stronger clutch spring plate and an extra plate) or the Barnett extra plate clutch kit. (Kevlar)
Questions:
1- anyone run wither of those in their bike? How does it feel? Lever pull hard or not bad?
2- what type of oil you use for either? I know Barnett asks to use ATF type ‘F’ and NOT to specifically use Formula+ (which I have used this entire time) so Anatole out ther use this clutch kit and with F+ by chance? Any issues?

appreciate the help here ladies and gentlemen, truly I do! I know I’m swapping it but putting out some feelers to see what other people have hadgood or bad luck with!
I put a Barnett Kevlar extra plate clutch with the stock clutch spring in my 06 Roadster a couple of years ago. It works great, I have only adjusted it one time in over 2 years. Shifts so much better than stock it is amazing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the insight, truly appreciated! I’ve actually decided not to go with the SE, hear a lot of complaints of hard lever pull....then I’d be getting into ez clutch setups etc etc and not really into it.
I spoke with Kent at Energy One and he was very helpful, so now it’s between the Barnett extra plate clutch kit with 25% spring plate or the Enery one EPC that also comes with a 15% stronger spring plate. Kent tells me it’s okay to use Formula+ but that there a much better and cheaper oils out there. He didn’t recommend a specific but said something similar to Form+ is fine. I hear and have read a few forums about a “squeal” while moving into first with the Energy One but then I hear tons of good things about this setup as well! Especially the lever pull being snappy and not much harder at all, essentially “feels like a new stock” according to Kent.

now that being said I’m leaning toward the Energy One full kit (comes with the compression tool also!) but again I’m still torn between the two - Barnett Kevlar extra plate kit or Energy One......

I understand with the Barnett they recommend ATF type F..... I’m very new to this but after reading (and correct me if I’m wrong please) I have read both for and against using ATF in a primary that shares with the gearbox. Is there an alternative. Currently I run formula+ as my bike is stock through and through, that also being said....I will do the big bore 1200 in another year or two.

again I appreciate the help ladies and gentleman! Anyone out there had issue with their Energy One ? Barnett ? I fear buying one would make pull on the lever a b**** and the other making the “squeal” on a brand new clutch that I just dropped a few hundy on.

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
You there's nothing saying you HAVE to use a 25% stronger spring with the Barnett.

Plenty of satisfied customers of Barnett on this forum. Myself included.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You there's nothing saying you HAVE to use a 25% stronger spring with the Barnett.

Plenty of satisfied customers of Barnett on this forum. Myself included.
so I could essentially use stock or even a 15% like others have told me.......that’s great.....what oil you running? (Thanks again for the post, appreciate it)

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
I use Dexron ATF, but I have a big twin with separate transmission and primary.

But yes, you can use whatever spring you desire, including stock if you wish.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use Dexron ATF, but I have a big twin with separate transmission and primary.

But yes, you can use whatever spring you desire, including stock if you wish.
Appreciate it again, thanks. Gonna do a bit more research before I pull the trigger. Hard to beat the good reviews on Barnett...... I’ll post once I finally make a decision! Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Energy One extra plate with upgraded spring in mine. Flawless performance, not particularly heavy clutch lever at all.
Great! What oil you runnin’? This in a Sportster as well? Appreciate the help! Cheers! Is it the spring plate from energy one also?

·
V-Twin Junkie
662 Posts
Great! What oil you runnin’? This in a Sportster as well? Appreciate the help! Cheers! Is it the spring plate from energy one also?
Type F ATF, and yes, the entire clutch is Energy One parts. They are local to me, and I like supporting local business. Beyond that, their products kick @ss.

·
weird member
2,634 Posts
You can't use an Ez pull with an extra plate clutch. The ez pull that goes on the ramp in between the ramp arm and the end of the clutch cable inherently reduces the total movement of the ramp and you won't get a full release and it will drag.

You don't need a heavier clutch spring, you can use the stock spring. You only need a heavier spring if you're upgrading the power output of the engine.

Reactions: Scooby Snax

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
You can't use an Ez pull with an extra plate clutch. The ez pull that goes on the ramp in between the ramp arm and the end of the clutch cable inherently reduces the total movement of the ramp and you won't get a full release and it will drag.
^^^ This.

I have an extra plate clutch and 07 up stock reduced effort ramps, and if I don't shift into neutral before I come to a stop, I have to turn off the motor to get it into neutral.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys have been an amazing help, really appreciate it! Th ask for helping out! I’ll be posting my final decision! Agreed 100% Gorillathehun..... support local whenever you can! Unfortunately I haven’t found anything local to me thus far with reviews like Barnett and Energy One......all good though...... cheers everyone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You don't need a heavier clutch spring, you can use the stock spring. You only need a heavier spring if you're upgrading the power output of the engine.
Appreciate this, great advice! Thank you

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,928 Posts
so I could essentially use stock or even a 15% like others have told me.......that’s great.....what oil you running? (Thanks again for the post, appreciate it)
I've been using harley formula + or any 20-50 v-twin oil that has the proper additives for clutches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been using harley formula + or any 20-50 vowing oil that has the proper additives for clutches.
Awesome! I’m running the same but my clutch is stock, looking at either the Barnett or Energy One, do you have either installed in your clutch currently? Thanks in advance and thanks for the reply. Energy one rep said form+ is fine but Barnett seems to state NOt to use just that specific oil lol 😆

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.....also advised by a good few on this thread to steer away from form + in a Barnett extra..... I will follow advice of course but still deciding which of the two I’m buying..... two phone calls tmrw to each should get me to my decision finally. Just want to get one in there so I can work on other things before the season starts up here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts