Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,927 Posts
.....also advised by a good few on this thread to steer away from form + in a Barnett extra..... I will follow advice of course but still deciding which of the two I’m buying..... two phone calls tmrw to each should get me to my decision finally. Just want to get one in there so I can work on other things before the season starts up here.
Really? It's been many years, but I swear I contacted Barnett way back when and they specifically told me formula + was preferred to use! But if you just contacted them I'd definitely take your word over mine.

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
Sportsters primary and transmission share oil, right, like they're not separate? In that case, I don't know what oil to recommend, but Formula+ will cause the clutch to drag if you go with an extra plate kit. Now if the trans shares oil with the engine and the primary is separate, then yeah any of the suggestions work. The drag with Formula+ isn't super bad, not like it's sitting in gear with a full pull of the clutch and going to creep forward or be impossible to shift, but it will drag enough to be noticeable and annoying and make for harder shifting.

The instructions that come with the Barnett clutch list various oils to use instead of Formula+ and they recommend aagainst it as of 3 years ago when I installed one on my big twin.

Reactions: Scooby Snax

·
Registered
2000 HD Sportster Hugger 883
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sportsters primary and transmission share oil, right, like they're not separate? In that case, I don't know what oil to recommend, but Formula+ will cause the clutch to drag if you go with an extra plate kit. Now if the trans shares oil with the engine and the primary is separate, then yeah any of the suggestions work. The drag with Formula+ isn't super bad, not like it's sitting in gear with a full pull of the clutch and going to creep forward or be impossible to shift, but it will drag enough to be noticeable and annoying and make for harder shifting.

The instructions that come with the Barnett clutch list various oils to use instead of Formula+ and they recommend aagainst it as of 3 years ago when I installed one on my big twin.
Thanks again! Well hopefully there are other options than ATF type f..... I’m no expert by any means but just from reading I’m not sure I want to run it in my trans as well...... appreciate the input as always! Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Just thinking about using ATF in your trans/primary. I remember a few years back Chevy called for ATF in some of their S10 manual transmissions. All automatics have gear sets in them. I understand being a little worried about ATF in your transmission, but it should work out for you. Operative word here is SHOULD - no guarantee's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Spoke with a Barnett Rep today and asked him about the oil, he assured me ANY oil can be ran 🤷🏻‍♂️ formula+ is okay, he explained, but in cold weather and on cold starts it can cause the plates to stick together which isn’t desirable, clearly .....once the oil heats up it is no issue. I take from his advice - don’t run Formula+ run something lighter but doesn’t have to be ATF. (I live in Canada, it gets a bit cold) I was advised this from a few standup fellas on this forum. So thanks for that! Still not 100% what I will run but I will heed the advice and not run the form+, I will do more research....

Sooooo, looks like I’m ordering a set of Kevlar Barnett extra plate kit but not going with the 25% HD Barnett spring plate (too heavy for what I need) can’t get ahold of a 10% Barnett spring plate so I’ve contacted Energy One to inquire if their 15% spring plate is compatible. Both companies have been a pleasure to speak with and I am happy I can support both. Still waiting for Kent to give a call back and let me know if the spring plate is compatible, going to but their compression tool as well......will update with the final configuration momentarily. Thanks again all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just in case anyone new happens to grace this forum and has some the same questions as myself, I went with this configuration for a new clutch:
Barnett Extra plate Clutch Kit Kevlar -
Energy One 15% spring plate
Bought the compression tool from them also

not the most cost effective for myself being up in Canada, get nailed on the exchange and shipping but since I’ve heard very good things about both companies I opted for a special order from E1 to obtain What I needed.

still researching which oil to switch too as many have said, Form+ will cause drag in an extra plate clutch.
I’ll prob post one last time once I’ve got the oil figured out and have everything ironed up and test rode to give my final opinion.
Appreciate everyone’s help once again, appreciate it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So for info purposes once again for anyone that may be a newb as myself...... I called Redline and spoke with Dave about using their product in the sporty tranny/Primary and they recommended RL 75w-90 Gear oil. After looking through a slew of other forums posts and Sifting through the great oil debates, I did in fact find an article from RL themselves that stated they have tested and used the above Gear oil with great success in the HD Sportster Primary/Tranny for many years and have excellent feed back on the product. Also quite a lot of forum users have agreed.
I will be furthering my research before I settle and buy an oil but looking like RL 75w-90 Gear oil is a front runner based on my findings.

not trying to start an Oil thread or debate but if anyone has some input or something they prefer to use let me know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
I know a lot of Sportster riders use Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube in their primary. I use this in my transmission.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts