Harley Davidson Forums banner

Sportster cranks but won't start

51K views 97 replies 20 participants last post by  fenderbassman1965 
#1 ·
1995 Sportster 883 Custom. Had stator issues so had to get a jump to get home. Rode maybe 10 minutes and bike died. Tried to jump it again and wouldn't start, just cranks. Replaced ignition sensor plate, new plugs, and still nothing. Has good spark and compression, fuel sucks on to hand if if I cover carb when cranking.. Please help!!!

#4 ·
Did you fix the charging problem? It will crank but not start with a weak battery.

#8 ·
I replaced the timing plate since it looked kinda melted, but since it won't start setting the timing has been an issue. i just positioned the plate dead center and went from there. Is it possible to have spark and have a faulty ignition module? Thinking I may have fried it when I jumped my bike.

#16 ·
I replaced the timing plate since it looked kinda melted, but since it won't start setting the timing has been an issue. i just positioned the plate dead center and went from there. Is it possible to have spark and have a faulty ignition module? Thinking I may have fried it when I jumped my bike.
Per Ronniespartsfinder the '98 Sportster has an integrated ignition module, everything under the timer cover.
Does the OP have something else ?
Oh forget this post, OP has a '95 883 ... duh !

#11 ·
Check the old plate for the screw marks and locate the new plate in the same position.
Check that the timer cup behind the plate is positioned on the pinion locating notch and that the screw is tight.
Check that you got the wire colors matched at the harness connectors.
Use the choke to start the engine not the throttle or you'll saturate the new plugs with fuel.

#14 ·
I'm trying to static time the engine at this moment, I have the front cylinder at TDC. Where should i be trying to set my spark time? Apologies, this is my first time attempting to static time. The old sensor plate was too beat up to see where the screws were mounted.

#15 ·
Does the new timer plate have a LED for timing ? If so set the front cyl. to TDC verifying both valves are closed then rotate the timer plate until the LED lights.
FYI the engine should start with the timer plate centered unless something else is amiss. What brand timer plate did you get ? Some replacement timer plates require a different timer cup.

#19 ·
The ignition timing wouldn't cause top end damage. Take plugs out, either replace or give a really good cleaning and drying.
Wet plugs are most likely fouled, bench charge battery, not a tender, a real charger. then have it load tested.
Sounds like a fouled plug problem. Never start with throttle open, very easy to flood engine.

#21 ·
No They need to ignite vapors, not raw fuel.

#26 ·
how many times are you going to post this?

#27 ·
My guess he'll keep posting till someone goes to his house and fixes it .

#29 ·
The OP made 2 nearly identical videos !
Valves aren't closing, holes in piston tops, blown head gaskets ? I've heard that sound before, just can't place it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.