Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley sportster 1200 motor

Is it worth it?? I have no details, but even if it is really beat up that seems like a good price.
Harley sportster 1200 motor

I am going to text him for pics and info.

If it is a pre 04 engine would it fit in a post 04 bike though? I know that trap door for the trans wouldn't be usable, but if it fit...

I don't need an engine...but hey, for the price.. someday I might! And if nothing else I have been wanting to pick up an old beat up evo to restore and have as a play bike so maybe I could instead pick one up with a kaboomed engine... I dunno..

If I do wind up going to look at this thing, what should I look for and do to tell what is and isn't broken?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Buying a motor than you can't confirm runs is always a big gamble. It may be a good deal. It may be a $500 boat anchor.

You can turn the crank and kinda tell if it has any compression all. Smell and look at the oil, etc but it's a crapshoot no matter what.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying a motor than you can't confirm runs is always a big gamble. It may be a good deal. It may be a $500 boat anchor.

You can turn the crank and kinda tell if it has any compression all. Smell and look at the oil, etc but it's a crapshoot no matter what.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thank you for the response, but it is a Sold crap shoot so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts